ForumsQuestionsSiri API call from Toodledo App

Siri API call from Toodledo App
clason

Posted: Oct 07, 2016
Score: 1 Reference
Hi Toodledo -

So, the current solution to sync Toodledo with iOS reminders is workable, but buggy. By buggy, I mean that it still has a problem across multiple iOS versions where for some reason I get tons of duplicate tasks when trying to sync Reminders and Toodledo.

In the past, I understand that you built this sync rather than going directly to Siri because you couldn't go directly to Siri. Apple didn't let you!

Well, apparently, Apple has changed their mind. In iOS 10, there is now an API to Siri that can be called from apps. Can you guess what feature I'm going to request?

Are you guys already working on allowing the Toodledo App to create new tasks directly from Siri? If not, can I humbly suggest that you consider it?

Thanks,

- Andy
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 10, 2016
Score: 0 Reference
We have already looked into this and attempted to get this working. Unfortunately, Apple has only opened the Siri API to certain types of apps and as a result the vocabulary that you can use is very limited. The only way we could get this to work is if you said "Siri, send a message to Toodledo" and then waited for Siri to ask you what message you wanted to send, and then you could say "Get a haircut". This is a bit too cumbersome, I think. The existing method (via Reminders syncing) is "Siri, remind me to get a haircut" and this is more elegant so we are sticking with it for now.

We are hoping that Apple opens Siri up even more in the future so that we can do this better.
mgacsaly

Posted: Nov 17, 2016
I have been using the Siri Reminders to Toodledo for several years.
The only problem is there does not seem to be a way to set the priority using siri or the toodledo reminders import.
All the fields OTHER than priority are taken from my default toodledo task settings.
But Priority is always LOW (which is what Siri creates reminders with).
Tasks I create ANY OTHER WAY are high priority (my default).
There does not seem to be a way to get siri to create a high priority reminder.

You explained that you just take the priority of the ios reminder...but it has been a few years and I still have to go in and edit each siri created task from low to high which is tedious.
I did not see a way to change task priority in IFTTT and did not find any Toodledo WORKFLOW applets.
Is there any way to get what I want (which is creating tasks using siri (now on my watch) at my default (or a specified) toodledo priority)?
(it seems like an option in the import reminders to "override priority to Toodledo default: Yes/No" or "override priority to: X" would do the trick.

Thanks!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 17, 2016
We would have to add a switch to override the priority like you have suggested. This is on our todo list.
J. Michael Stahl

Posted: Nov 18, 2016
Out of curiosity are there plans for in iOS app update in the near term (3 to 6 months)? The app is great, there are some minor tweaks that would make it absolutely awesome!

1. Background sync while the app is closed (iOS and watchOS)
2. Interactive notifications widget where tasks can be completed
3. Spotlight search integration

Since it's been about a year since the last update I know I for one am getting excited for the next one.

Keep up the good work! Thanks!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 21, 2016
We are currently working on a complete rewrite of our iOS app from the ground up. Its a lot of work.

In the meantime, our existing app will be getting a bug fix update soon to solve some crashing issues with iOS 10.1
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.