ForumsQuestionsMaster task to assume due date of the earliest subtask

Master task to assume due date of the earliest subtask
Ummagumma

Posted: Oct 21, 2016
Score: 0 Reference
It would be great to have an option for the master task to assume the due date of it's earliest subtask.

It would be even better if this was a toggle switch that could be activated per task rather than globally.
lotsapoppa

Do you mean something like this? Where the "parent's" start and due date is the same as the earliest and latest dates of one of its "children"?

Project-A Start Oct 1 Due Oct 10
--- Child-1 Start Oct 1 Due Oct 3
--- Child-2 Start Oct 3 Due Oct 5
--- Child-3 Start Oct 5 Due Oct 10

If so, then YES, that would be a very nice feature.

This message was edited Oct 21, 2016.
Salgud

Posted by Ummagumma:
It would be great to have an option for the master task to assume the due date of it's earliest subtask.

It would be even better if this was a toggle switch that could be activated per task rather than globally.

If such a feature were to be added, I would much prefer that the Due Date of the master task be the latest of it's subtasks, not the earliest. This is how all scheduling software works, for obvious reasons.
Ummagumma

Yes, almost. I had in mind setting the earliest start and earliest due date (worst case scenario) for parent, but this could be changed in settings.

E.g. for me Project A would be Start Oct 1 Due Oct 3

Basically your approach would be good for setting project duration, while mine is more for keeping track of the next due and start dates for a project with multiple subtasks.

The best way would be to add a setting for the parent task to assume children tasks' date with options for earliest or latest. And this would need to be done per task rather than globally (some parent tasks will have their own start and due dates while the others will inherit them from subtasks).
coolexplorer

Situation : One has a number of Projects (each with sub-tasks with varying start and due dates) and one has to keep track of all the Projects simultaneously and not slip up.

Solution: The Parent task (i.e. Project) shows a 'counter' when one or more of its sub-tasks come due (either start date or due date or manually starred).

Very much like the 'counter' on the TD Beta Calendar or the 'dots' in the TD Forum for unread postings.

Jake, is it possible? You proved impossible wrong by working out task counters for custom view saved searches. :)
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Something like this is on our todo list. Its a popular request to have the parent task assume some aspect of its subtasks, whether that be the highest priority, status, due-date, etc. So we are thinking about this.
Ummagumma

Posted: Oct 22, 2016
Just keep in mind that for this to work, it has to be a per-parent setting rather than a global setting.

I.e. I have a parent task called "Bills". That task is not actionable by itself, so it makes sense for it to assume the earliest due date of it's child tasks (individual bills).

OTOH some parents are actual tasks that have their own attributes, including due dates, with child tasks being pre-requisites, e.g.

Project financial presentation due 5/15
Collect information from stakeholders due 5/10
Send meeting notice due 5/5

Getting this to work would be tremendously helpful.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.