ForumsQuestionsToodledo phoning home

Toodledo phoning home
Mike

Posted: Jul 06, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
The new version of Toodledo seems to be accessing the internet whenever I launch the program. This is despite my unselecting "Sync at Startup" so it would only sync manually.

The launch delay to access the internet is not a big deal when I'm using the 3G network but when I'm using Edge it makes the app very unresponsive and a pain to use. I want to use Toodledo as an offline utility.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior?
Is there a way I can disable it?

This message was edited Jul 06, 2009.
Anders

I don't know what exactly it is doing, but I know it is related to notifications. I'm afraid the only way to disable it would probably be to turn off push notifications for Toodledo.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
The internet access at launch is related to remote notifications. Apple requires apps who use Push to re-authenticate each time the app is launched, which means asking Apple's servers for permission and then sending that permission slip to Toodledo's servers. We have submitted a small update to Apple that will cause this to not freeze the application for 1 second on launch.
David

Score: 1 Reference
I have also noticed this, and it has rendered the application almost unusable. If I am in a poor reception area, it takes around 30 seconds before I can use it.

Unfortunately turning off the Notifications (within iPhone Settings) seems to make no difference. I have tried turning it off on the iPhone, Synchonising, and also turing off the Reminders / Alarms on the web version, and it still does it on iPhone startup...
Mike

Thanks for the reply, Toodledo. Could you get away with pinging Apple's servers only if the user has enabled notifications?

This message was edited Jul 06, 2009.
kharbour

Posted: Jul 07, 2009
Posted by David:
I have also noticed this, and it has rendered the application almost unusable. If I am in a poor reception area, it takes around 30 seconds before I can use it.

Unfortunately turning off the Notifications (within iPhone Settings) seems to make no difference. I have tried turning it off on the iPhone, Synchonising, and also turing off the Reminders / Alarms on the web version, and it still does it on iPhone startup...

Just want to second this, I'm having the same problem (version 1.5.0).
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 07, 2009
Yeah. Apple sort of rushed us with implementing Push, so it is a little funky now. The good news is that during the 3 weeks that it took Apple to approve our update, we fixed all the bugs and submitted a new update to Apple, which they are reviewing right now. This update fixes the pause when the app launches.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.