ForumsQuestionsHow to order my tasks

How to order my tasks
didymus74

Posted: Nov 27, 2016
Score: 1 Reference
Having used other todo apps that allow me to drag and drop my starred tasks into the order in which I want to work on them, what is the best work around in Toodledo for me to order my tasks each day? Would I use start day and time, and change the values of these field as necessary to get my preferred order?
Salgud

Posted: Nov 28, 2016
Score: 0 Reference
If you have a paid subscription, you'll have subtasks enabled. You can enable manual subtask sorting and have what you want. There is no general manual sorting for reasons often described in these forums, if you do a search.
coolexplorer

Posted: Nov 29, 2016
Score: 1 Reference
Toodledo is very powerful and customizable, but one of its key shortfalls is that it does not allow a user to sort the tasks in the Hotlist in the users preference of doing.

Once I have selected the 15 odd (small & big) tasks I want to do today, it does not allow me to sequence them and determine what I should do first, second, etc.

There are some tasks I would like to do first thing in the morning, and some post lunch, or in the evening when people return from work.
The tagging system does not work effectively (I have played around with using sequence numbers 1,2,3, and morning, evening, etc).

Please appreciate that I plan my tasks the previous night and would not like to again expend decision making energy and motivation on picking a task to do each time, all over again, several times a day.

Could something be done to allow manual sorting of one list only -- the final Hotlist and custom saved search Hotlist only. 99% of the task data base need not be sorted, as I am aware it goes against the rational of self-selection on which TD is based.
gav_1298156935

I am also restricted by the sorting functionality. I average about 10 to 15 tasks per day. My primary task sorting is based on due date, which is fine. But then I am unable to have a secondary filter allowing me to show the tasks due today listed by say priority. I am a big fan of Toodledo but must admit to being surprised this cannot be easily performed.
Joyce

There is a work around using alphabetic sorts, What I did early on was to give contexts numbers and then tasks numbered in that series. I then use the alphabetic setting and that arranges my tasks into roughly the proper order. I have many repeating daily household tasks that I arranged into Morning (100) today (200) afternoon (400) and evening (500)

1st context is 100, Morning
101 is the first task
102 is the next

If you may need to insert a task you can set up repeating tasks
so a task you number as 111 will land between 110 and 115

I left gaps so if I need to open a new context that I want to land in a specific place in the order I can use 300, 600 or 700 or whatever.
If you have subtasks it's best to keep them indented so they stay with the parent task. I don't add tasks except on the website or in the iOS App. so I don't know how well that would work out.

Hope this helps
Olivir2015

Posted: Nov 30, 2016
So the second and third level of sorting on the web does not work for you?

Posted by gav_1298156935:
I am also restricted by the sorting functionality. I average about 10 to 15 tasks per day. My primary task sorting is based on due date, which is fine. But then I am unable to have a secondary filter allowing me to show the tasks due today listed by say priority. I am a big fan of Toodledo but must admit to being surprised this cannot be easily performed.
Ummagumma

Posted: Nov 30, 2016
This is why you have stars and actions and tags and priorities and saved searches. It offers a tremendous flexibility.

Personally, I find having to order every task extremely time consuming. I use stars for my next 2-3 tasks, Next Action for the following 5-10 tasks, and Priority for the tasks I want to keep next in the queue.

So, my day starts with Starred tasks. Since I only have 2-3 of them, I don't need to organize them in any manual order (seriously, if you can't figure an order in which to do 3 tasks in your head, you need a break).

Once I am done with Starred tasks, I star the remaining High Priority tasks, and assign High priorities to the top 2-3 remaining Next Action ones. This only takes a couple minutes. (You can skip star altogether and just use Top priority for "Now" and High for "next" but the star feature makes it easy to use them with Pocket Informant, plus it adds a whole new level of flexibility).

I also make extensive use of saved searches to make sure I don't miss due dates.

This message was edited Nov 30, 2016.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.