ForumsQuestionsBetter handling of subtasks on iPhone

Better handling of subtasks on iPhone
skasapi

Posted: Jul 07, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I'm relatively new to Toodledo, both the Web site and the iPhone app. The combination overall is effective for me, except for the way the way both handle subtasks.

- On the iPhone, subtasks appear as a sub-selection at the bottom of the screen once a task is opened. The sub-tasks are buried in the menus, but the whole point of sub-tasks is to break down a larger project into manageable tasks. Other apps (such as ToDo, which also syncs with Toodledo...) display the sub-tasks in a link when you select the task. It's much faster and intuitive than clicking through multiple menus. (Incidentally, I prefer ToDo's UI to Toodledo on the iPhone, but it doesn't support stars or tasks status, which is dealbreaker for me)

- On the Web site, there should be a fast way of just viewing the sub-tasks and filtering out the parent (project) tasks. The parent task really isn't a discrete task, so when I want to know "what should I do right now" having the parent task hang around is a real nuisance. I know I can flatten subtasks, but that just creates an explosion of tasks.
Anders

As far as the iPhone goes, you are far from the first to mention it, and I for one completely agree. It is the app's one real weakness IMO.

As for the website, I really like the way subtasks are done. I like using them nested, and having the parent tasks act sort of like the Toodledo dividers, allowing me to expand and collapse projects. However, if you just want them out of the way, then what is wrong with flattening your tasks. You can sort by parent/subtask, so they will not be mixed up, and if you sort by some criterion that you don't use for parents, such as context or whatever, then you can even get them all to the bottom of your list. In fact, you can filter parent tasks completely out by using a -1 priority, future date, or one of the deferred statuses.
skasapi

Good points about the Web version of Toodledo. I'll play around with sorting and filtering and see how it goes. Assigning a 'project' context to the projects might work for me.
Anders

That would work especially well if you could filter out only one context. It would be even better if Toodledo would add a parent task filter though. You might want to browse the Tips And Tricks forum to see how others are doing this sort of thing.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.