ForumsQuestionsHotlist Count

Hotlist Count
jim.sarkovski

Posted: Jul 08, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Does the hotlist count have to include the subtasks as well when in nesting view? I use the hotlist count as my badge count on my iPhone and I prefer to count the projcts only.

The Toodledo iPhone App will count only the project tasks when in nested mode and update the badge accordingly. However, that badge count will eventually become overridden. If there is a way for the badge updates to not include the subtasks in the counts, please someone let me know.
Anders

This is just a guess, but if it is that the badge is being overridden by the website hotlist count, then this may work. Try setting your iPhone hotlist to Different Settings from the website (you could just set the same settings, but just so it isn't directly linked to the site). Don't know if that will do the trick, but you could try it.
jim.sarkovski

I tried your suggestion but it didn't work. It seems when you use your local settings, that is what is used on exit, but the badge count seems to use what is counted on the site's hotlist count.

Luckily I was only on a Pro Account trial (expires tomorrow) and will revert my tasks to stand-alones and stick with a basic membership.
Anders

Sorry that didn't work. I guess that is probably the only way Toodledo could do it since badge updates have to cone down from the server, and can't be generated by the app itself.
You could turn off automatic badge updates in your iPhone settings, but then of course you would only see your badge refreshed when you use the app.
By the way, if you go to your Hotlist on the website, are your subtasks nested or flattened? It would be interesting to know if that makes a difference.

This message was edited Jul 08, 2009.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
The badge number that Toodledo sends up to your iPhone is based on everything being flattened, since the server doesn't know how you left the app (subtasks nested or inline). Like Anders said, if you turn off badge updates (in the Apple Settings app), the badge will only update when you launch the app, which may be ok for you.
jim.sarkovski

Thanks for the info. Turning off the badge doesn't work for me. I recommend that you add a setting that lets the user to decide how to count hotlist items, nested or in-line. After such a change I'll be subscribing to Pro.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 09, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion.
blackdance

Posted: Jul 23, 2009
In current version, badge behavior is very incosistent. it seems that two code paths use different approaches for hotlist count. When badge is updated at application exit, it does not include subtasks. On the other hand, when badge is updated by push notification it includes all of the tasks, including subtasks.

The result is that badge number goes up and down erratically, very confusing. This HAS to be fixed.

This message was edited Jul 23, 2009.
Anders

Toodledo is aware of the problem. The Push badge count has to come from the server, and since there is no way for it to know your subtask setting, it always includes subtasks when updated through Push. The only way to keep it consistent at this point is to flatten subtasks in the app, or turn off Push badge updates.
blackdance

Andres,

Glad to hear Toodledo is addressing the problem.

You mentioned subtask settings. Is there a setting in the app that I can tweak to achieve consistent badge behavior (either with or without subtasks?)
Anders

The only way for it to be consistent is to set your subtasks to display "In-Line" in the iPhone app, which you can do by tapping "Filters" at the bottm of your task list.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.