ForumsQuestionsNew Task Layout - Significantly longer to change dates

New Task Layout - Significantly longer to change dates
adriank

Posted: Mar 15, 2017
Score: 0 Reference
Changing start dates or end dates in the new task layout takes significantly more time than in the old layout. Using Chrome on Windows 10 PC in the old layout, I would click on the date which would pop up the date selection window and I would click on a date in the calendar or one of the choices in the list (Today, Tomorrow, etc.) and the window would close and the date would be updated in the task list. In the new layout, I click on the date, the date selection window opens as expected, but when I click on a date or a choice on the list, the date isn't updated until I move the mouse off the window and wait up to 3 seconds for the window to disappear. What used to take a fraction of a second to do two clicks and change the dates now takes two clicks, excessive mouse movement, and a three second delay. Since I change dates on many tasks throughout the day, this would be a serious efficiency setback for me. Is there any workaround to make this as efficient as the old layout (please!)?
pawelkaleta

Posted: Mar 16, 2017
Yes, this is a pain in New Layout, the same lag can be observed when changing tags. I mentioned about this in January but reading various comments it looks like this is expected behaviour. A kind of workaround is to doubleclick on desired date.

https://www.toodledo.com/forums/1/23545/-108367/read.html#jump
Ann M

Jake: this workaround should be publicized when you go live. I just found it on the forum and it basically mitigates the delay issue. But if users don't know about it then using the new calendar is incredibly frustrating (as I have lived with it for the past several months). Thanks. Ann
Jake

Toodledo Founder
We are working to make this behavior consistent across the old and the new site. Some things you should know.

1) On the old design, if you have the start-time or due-time field enabled, then the calendar would not go away when you click a date. This was to allow you to also set a time.
2) On the old design, double click also worked to dismiss the calendar immediately.
3) In the new design, we keep the due-date calendar open when selecting a date so that you can also set an alarm if you want to. On the old design you had to open the popup twice if you wanted to set a date and an alarm.
4) Instead of waiting for 3 seconds, you can also click outside the popup to make it go away immediately. Or if you are using the keyboard, you can press return after typing in the new date.

Regarding the tag picker, I just tested this and it seemed to be the same behavior as before. The tag picker stays open as long as the mouse is inside it, so that you can click as many tags as you want. When you move the mouse outside it goes away after a short delay or if you click it goes away immediately.
adriank

Thanks Jake! Double-clicking wasn't something intuitive for me to try, but it is certainly an acceptable workaround to make date changes almost as efficient in the new layout. Is there any consideration to a user setting that disables the animation that fades the popup calendar window in and out? I could do without the animation to save time.

Personally, I didn't notice anything different about the tag picker window functionality as far as delay or mouse clicks / movement required to use.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.