ForumsQuestionsYour suggestions for how I should use Toodledo?

Your suggestions for how I should use Toodledo?
M

Posted: Mar 22, 2017
Score: 0 Reference
I currently keep a long list of a weird variety of tasks (I am ADD-like, and feel compelled to "dump" all my ideas into a to do list).

I use
- Stars to indicate the things I really want to try to get done TODAY
- Folders to emulate the Eisenhower Decision Matrix (Urgent and important, not urgent but important, not important but urgent, etc)
- start dates to show, basically, when I should try to start working on stuff
- due dates only if there is really a REQUIRED date that something is due. or if I want to use "optionally due" automatic rollover feature
- Statuses (next status = a routine task, no status = all other non-deferred tasks, Hold = incoming and/or don't really want to see now)
- Goals to align with "life goals" as a way of indicating the tasks' importance to me
- Tags I had been using to indicate location/context. These are Home, Work, Weekday (can only be accomplished M-F), PC (must be on PC at home), etc.

Now, as a way of cleaning my list up, a bit, I want to add in an indicator as to whether a task is TRULY required or not. Something can be important, but not required. It can even be urgent, but not required.

I had hoped to use tags but then, when I tried to filter on home tasks that are required, I also got WORK tasks that are required...

Should I be using Priority, instead, for my Eisenhower stuff, and maybe folders for this indicator of required/important/optional ?

I know this probably makes little sense if you're not me. Sometimes, the blessing of Toodledo's flexibility is also my curse!

Any suggestions made in the spirit of helpfulness will be appreciated!

thanks
Salgud

Posted: Mar 23, 2017
I would suggest making your Eisenhower status your priority, and your Status field your indicator of your overall need, such as Next Action = must be done. Of course, there are so many options here. You might have to try a couple of different ones before you find the right one for you.
M

Posted: Mar 24, 2017
Thanks. I know it's hard to make suggestions - everyone has their own preferences.

I started to move your way - away from Eisenhower in folders and toward Priority -- then remembered why I don't like it. Because I can't customize the priority, I forget what it means, while processing. With folders, I can call it exactly what it means to me.

But I still need to rethink all of this. I'm still open to hearing what others do. My main goal is 1) hiding the stuff that's really not important, so it doesn't muck up my day, and 2) eventually being able to search for and trim off those not important tasks...

Quick question: are TAGS the only field that can contain multiple values? I can't have more than one context, right?

This message was edited Mar 24, 2017.
pawelkaleta

Posted: Mar 24, 2017
Score: 1 Reference
Posted by M:
Quick question: are TAGS the only field that can contain multiple values? I can't have more than one context, right?

Yes, right.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.