ForumsQuestionsNew Features/Existing solutions

New Features/Existing solutions
liquidbeard

Posted: May 27, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
Hi all. I've been compiling a list of things I'd find useful in TD. If anyone knows of a way that it can be solved with the existing features, that would be great to know, otherwise what do you think of the ideas?

I know that some of them don't fit into the existing structure and would be problematic. Nonetheless...

Things I would find useful:
- Automatically applied (dynamic?) settings given a goal or context: e.g. add "at work" context to a task and it increases priority by one or sets priority to "High" or adds it to a certain folder or whatever. To be honest I'm not sure about this one, but would anyone use it?

- Task dependencies: tasks are only valid given another task's completion, and can be filtered out (e.g. I can "Buy a region 1 DVD" and "Buy another region 1 DVD", but it's pointless unless I also "Buy multiregion DVD player". It becomes a subtask of each region 1 DVD I want to buy - so a dependancy would help keep the list clean and accurate).
It can also be used for something like "Pick up the car from the garage" can be dependant on "ring and confirm the car is ready" or "Wait for call from garage". Also a sub-task of "Go on holiday" could be "pack electric shaver" and a dependant task of that would be "charge shaver" - so that it could not be completed without first charging it. That way you'd never pack the shaver with no charge in it. Dependant tasks would share the due date. I think that this one is pretty cool - it has cosmetic uses and functional uses.

- Multiple contexts: When buying a book I can look online, or in town if I'm there, so I want "Online" and "In Town" contexts assigned to it. That way when I'm looking for "Online" tasks when I am online I will see the book search, and when I'm looking for things to do in town it will also appear. Obviously this creates a more relational connection, but it can just be a list in the context field.

- Views - I would like to be able to filter by Context, only displaying "Online" tasks in order of priority ...in one click! So if I could save it as a "view" that wouldn't screw up my default view that would be neat. Then I can think to myself "I am online, what can I get out of the way while I'm here? Click!" and not have that pop up next time I log in.

- Attach HTML hotlinks to tasks, perhaps with one-click link icons in list view.

Edit: just thought of another one - lists. An element that can be referenced from a task. So a task "Go food shopping" would reference the list "Supermarket list". A task "Catalogue project reports" could reference the list "Project Reports". Also a good way to store lists of things to reference later on.

So what does everyone think? Can these things already be done? Should they be implemented? Are they so low priority as to be essentially ignored?

This message was edited May 27, 2008.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: May 27, 2008
Thanks for the suggestions. Task dependencies are something that we are considering for a future update.

For your "views" idea, I think we already do what you are suggesting. If you go to the context view and click on your "online" context and then sort by priority, this will set a cookie. Now, whenever you go to the context view (one click) it will already be in that view and sorted by priority.

Also, you might consider using notes HTML links and shopping lists.

Hope that helps.
liquidbeard

Posted: May 30, 2008
For your "views" idea, I think we already do what you are suggesting. If you go to the context view and click on your "online" context and then sort by priority, this will set a cookie. Now, whenever you go to the context view (one click) it will already be in that view and sorted by priority.

Cool. I did not know this, and it has helped muchly :)

Also, you might consider using notes HTML links and shopping lists.
It's true, I did think of this about 10 minutes after posting it. It wasn't a well thought through idea. What I have at the moment is a list of things I want to buy as one task each in the "shopping" folder, specified by context (Online / In Town). I guess I thought a list could reduce the number of tasks, but it would just become a nightmare especially when printing booklets!
I like to use Toodledo to keep track of things I think of then usually forget about, as well as things that need doing. Sometimes I just want a list of things that I could be doing - ones that never get completed, because I might do them again the next day.

I'll keep thinking. I'll look forward to task dependencies if they come around!

This message was edited May 30, 2008.
bbeyenhof

Posted: Jun 26, 2009
Posted by liquidbeard:

- Automatically applied (dynamic?) settings given a goal or context: e.g. add "at work" context to a task and it increases priority by one or sets priority to "High" or adds it to a certain folder or whatever. To be honest I'm not sure about this one, but would anyone use it?

That's exactly what I'd like... some way to set priority for goals in order to affect sorting by Importance without having to change priority for each task individually. I think it would work best dynamically (goal X adds 1 or 2 to task priority), though doing it statically during task creation as well (tasks for Goal Y start with a default priority of 2).
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.