ForumsQuestionsOrdering Tasks - Same as subtasks

Ordering Tasks - Same as subtasks
Robertbergeron

Posted: Aug 07, 2017
Score: 2 Reference
Hi, Why do you not allow users to manually order task, drag and drop, the same way it is possible to order subtasks?

Need here is simple: let me order today's tasks manually, drag and drop, as I can do in subtasks. Only today's tasks, not tomorrow, not yesterday, not any other. Please. Don't force me to look into another solution that might do that. Since the feature is available in subtasks, how complicated would that be to offer that in Today's tasks. Offer that as an option in Settings.

Thank you!

This message was edited Aug 07, 2017.
Sabina A.

Posted: Aug 07, 2017
Score: 0 Reference
Hello,

Thanks for the suggestion. Manual reordering is not available for a variety of reasons, but the main one is that we provide a bunch of powerful ways to automatically sort your tasks. You may want to check out the Outlines section which provides for manual reordering via drag and drop and also unlimited levels of subtasks.
Robertbergeron

Posted: Aug 11, 2017
Score: 2 Reference
It is available in Sub-tasks, why not make the option available for Today's task only? This will not take anything away from the powerful ways to automatically sort my tasks, which I use... I just want more flexibility.
abrown_3

Posted: Nov 03, 2017
Score: 1 Reference
I'd add my support to this feature request.

It is a very natural thing to want to put today's tasks in arbitrary order. The order might depend on one's feelings, resource availability etc. -- things that are difficult to define according to a sortable field. I might want to do an easy, low priority task when I am tired, even if it is due after a more difficult higher priority task just to get it out of the way. I would prefer to order the tasks in the morning, rather than constantly scanning the list through the day.

One way to do this would be to have a "sequence number" field that records the order as items are dragged and dropped. This field would represent the overall order in which the tasks are planned to be done. Its presence would not upset the other sorting capabilities in the system. Dragging and dropping could only be enabled when the list is sorted by sequence number. If items are not shown because of filtering, just have a rule that a dragged task is inserted immediately before or immediately after the task being displayed after or before the drop position

This message was edited Nov 03, 2017.
coolexplorer

Posted: Nov 04, 2017
Score: 0 Reference
+1
Human intervention (manual sorting) is only required in the Today List (I use a custom saved search Today list).
Currently have to hack the TD fields (Location field) to work around this problem, but it is sub-optimum.
One more user customizable field (as an option) would sort out this issue. I don't use the Status and Location fields. If the Status field is made user customizable it would help.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.