ForumsQuestionsHow to Purchase touch 2.2.1 compatible version?

How to Purchase touch 2.2.1 compatible version?
lefflerster

Posted: Jul 20, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I don't want to upgrade my touch to OS 3.0 having read numerous horror stories about the Apple upgrade. Is there any way to purchase the latest 2.2.1 compatible product?

Thank you in advance.
Mark Leffler
Anders

Sorry, but I am fairly certain that Apple does not provide any way of purchasing older OS 2.21 compatible versions. Obviously, it would have been a good idea for them to have put some system in place to freeze versions in the appstore for people with 2.21, put that would only be iPod Touch users, and I get the impression that they do not prioritize our needs very highly. I would be interested to know where you have heard horror stories from. I have a 1st gen iPod, and the upgrade to OS 3.0 has been nothing but positive for me.
lefflerster

Wow! What a quick reply. It's interesting that you write that "Apple does not provide any way of purchasing older OS 2.21 compatible versions". Shouldn't you, as the software vendor, be able to sell any version you want? What happened to a free market economy?

I've seen horror stories posted on the Apple support website - look at the topic "ipod touch 3.0 update killed my ipod" for an example. Really scary tales of systems dying, data being lost, existing apps breaking, syncs no longer happening. Not being able to restore. Yikes!

I'm a new touch owner and am not ready for that possibility, but I appreciate your sharing your experience.

Mark
Anders

Just to clarify, I am not involved with Toodledo development, sales, etc. All I do is moderate these forums (well, I am a beta tester for the iPhone app too).
Your point about the free market is a good one, and there is a lot of discussion out there about the benefits/flaws of Apple's way of doing things. Basically, if you want to develop for iPhone (officially, non-jailbroken), then you have to play by their rules. Apple has complete control of sales, availability, etc. And they only allow one version to be out at a time. I suppose it might be possible to sell an OS 2.21 compatible version as a separate app, but I'm not really sure.

That is pretty frightening that many people are having trouble with the 3.0 upgrade, and I am glad I did not see that before I upgraded myself because it would have complicated the decision to do so. I did have a number of apps that were not 3.0-compatible when I first made the jump to OS 3.0, but most of them have since been updated. Unfortunately, I think that having OS 2.21 will become a bigger and bigger handicap as time goes by, and you will likely not be able to download any new apps before long. However, I understand your hesitance to update given the problems you have seen others report.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
I think the number of people having problems with 3.0 updating is probably very small. Of course, those people are going to be very vocal, which makes the problem sound worse than it is. I haven't seen any media attention on poor upgrade quality, so it is probably isolated problems.

As far as being allowed to sell any version that we want. Yeah, I wish! Apple has a crazy strict system that is incredibly frustrating to use. Most developers agree that dealing with Apple as a developer is a pain in the neck. The review process is a black-box and there is very little documentation about how it works. Apple will only allow you to have 1 version of an application in the App Store. So it is impossible to have the old version and the new version available side-by-side for people who upgrade and those that don't. Apple doesn't seem to care about people who don't update right away. I don't agree with Apple's policy, but there isn't anything that I can do about it. We have to play by Apple's rules in order to get on the iPhone.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.