ForumsQuestionsCompleted subtasks showing up under parent?

Completed subtasks showing up under parent?
benny

Posted: Jul 20, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I've been using Folders for Projects but am experimenting with using tasks/subtasks. I don't like that there's no column for Parent Task that I can display as I can the Folder, but that's another topic. I made my Project tasks with a negative priority and no due date or context or anything. I have a search named Projects that is defined as:

- Checked Off == No
and Has Subtasks == Yes
and Priority is -1

All my projects show up - so far so good. A couple of questions, though:

When I click on the icon to show the subtasks for one of my project tasks, my completed subtasks show up. Shouldn't those be hidden? All other completed tasks are hidden. If I wanted to see all tasks and subtasks completed or not I could create a search to do so. I would think that by default only the subtasks that have not been completed would show up. It makes it very difficult for long running projects to see what current work is needed as the few subtasks that must be worked are hidden inside the long list of completed subtasks displayed along with them.

Also, if I have another search that displays a number of tasks and subtasks (making no distinction as to whether the tasks are parents or subtasks) that represents my current work load, when I have a subtask and want to see the parent, I click the icon. I would assume that I could then click the icon again to toggle the view back but it then hides all subtasks. This seems really counter-intuitive. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for any answers - I'm sure this is correct behavior but it seems to run a little counter to what I would expect. I can still use Folders but was trying out subtasks to see if I would get anything out of changing up my system a touch.

benster
J-Mac

Posted: Jul 21, 2009
I believe that your Sort parameters must have "Show Completed Tasks" selected.

Click on the Sort button toward the top right of the page, then on the sort line that appears click on the link that says "Hide Completed Tasks". That should solve this for you.

Jim
Anders

What Jim is referring to is actually your Filters, not Sort parameters. However Filters do not apply to Search View since your search is essentially a series of filters. The completed subtasks appearing is intended behavior. See Toodledo's post here: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/1/2275/-11381/fixed-a-bug-with-searching-and-subtasks.html
I can see arguments for it working either way, but I do wish there were some sort of option to make only subtasks fitting the search criteria appear even when nested. If you run your search for subtasks, and view them flattened, then only those that match the search will appear.

This message was edited Jul 21, 2009.
Alisa

I had the same problem. I finally found my ideal set-up for working my task list. Many of my projects represent timeframes and I have sub-tasks listed below for items to complete during that block of time.

Parent Task
-starred (all my projects are starred)
-optional / date / time (adding the time of day keeps my "schedule" in order)
-medium priority
-@project context
-repeat set
-no start date

Sub-Task
-those that belong to routines have a numeric prefix (i.e., 01, 02, 03)
-optional / date / time
-negative priority
-start date = due date

Filters
-Hide recently completed
-Show negative priority
-Hide future tasks
-Nest sub-tasks

View
-Due Date / Today

Sort
-by Due Date
-then Alpha (the numeric prefixes sort everything in order)
-then Auto

Process
-With this view I see all of my projects collapsed. I hit the sub-task icon to expand the project list
-As I check things off the items remain in view but when I hit "r" they roll over to the next day and my list gets smaller.
-having these routine projects (task and sub-task) set to optional means they just roll over if not completed that day.

So the key is to set a start date to equal the due date and hit refresh to see the updated to-do list.

Note: I tried the repeat with parent option but if I didn't complete an item the parent would not repeat until all the sub-tasks were completed.

Good Luck!

This message was edited Jul 21, 2009.
benny

Posted: Jul 22, 2009
Thanks to all for the answers. Looks like I have to wait until the change is made to apply the search to the subtasks.
Alisa

Posted: Jul 22, 2009
Or set a start date equal to your due date and hit refresh. Works like a charm with the filters I described earlier.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.