ForumsQuestionsMulti Edit

Multi Edit
eugeniamantero

Posted: Oct 18, 2017
Score: 0 Reference
Hello,

I would like to know if there is a multiple edit functionality. I know that the batch edit exists, but sometimes it is not useful, as the tasks that I would like to move to a specific date don't share any criteria, just the due-date. But if I create a filter by due-date and I do the Batch-Edit I will be updating all the tasks expiring on that specific date.

Is there any other way to select the tasks that I want to edit?

Thanks, Eugenia
Sabina A.

Hello,

Batch-edit is currently the only option. If you sort by due-date and then close the dividers for all the other dates that you would not like to edit, then you will be able to batch-edit only the visible tasks.

Hope that helps.
Purveyor

Score: 1 Reference
Posted by Sabina A.:
If you sort by due-date and then close the dividers for all the other dates that you would not like to edit, then you will be able to batch-edit only the visible tasks.
I didn't know that. Cool!

It works with dividers for any field, e.g. Context, Folder, Priority, etc., based on the first sort field. You can Batch Edit multiple open dividers.

And, if you have Keyboard shortcuts enabled, "W" toggles Open and Close All Dividers.

This message was edited Oct 18, 2017.
eugeniamantero

Posted by Sabina A.:
Hello,

Batch-edit is currently the only option. If you sort by due-date and then close the dividers for all the other dates that you would not like to edit, then you will be able to batch-edit only the visible tasks.

Hope that helps.

Well, maybe I was not that clear on my question.

Let's imagine I have these tasks (Task A, Task B, Task C, Task D) all of them expiring today but I only want to batch edit Task B and Task C and move them a week after.

As a user, my first option would be to select them and move them, but Toodledo does not have the Highlight or Select functionality. So I tried Batch-Edit, but in order to use it, Task B and Task C must have some criteria that satisfy a filter. Which they don't have.

Yes, I can add them to a folder, or tag them, but those are workarounds.

That is my question

Thanks!
Purveyor

eugeniamantero,

Toodledo doesn't provide a way of individually selecting tasks for editing.

The most common workaround is to Star the tasks because it's faster than adding them to a folder or tagging them. Of course, this means that you can't use Star as a way of identifying special tasks that are not part of the Batch Edit.

This message was edited Oct 18, 2017.
pawelkaleta

... and this bring us to potential solution which could be easily (?) implemented by Toodledo, i.e. to add one more field similar to Star but called let's say Select (represented by the proper icon like Star) plus add filtering and editing options for that field both under Eye-icon and in Batch Edit option.
That would create a Multiselect-like feature, not perfect but still better than nothing.
You would point one by one which tasks you are interested in by clicking on Select icon, then you could perform action e.g. it could be option in Batch Edit form allowing user to decide if to apply changes to Selected tasks or to Visible tasks. After the action is completed all Selects could be cleared. Makes sense?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestion. We do not comment on timeframes for implementation, but this is on our to-do list.

Thanks
eugeniamantero

Posted by pawelkaleta:
... and this bring us to potential solution which could be easily (?) implemented by Toodledo, i.e. to add one more field similar to Star but called let's say Select (represented by the proper icon like Star) plus add filtering and editing options for that field both under Eye-icon and in Batch Edit option.
That would create a Multiselect-like feature, not perfect but still better than nothing.
You would point one by one which tasks you are interested in by clicking on Select icon, then you could perform action e.g. it could be option in Batch Edit form allowing user to decide if to apply changes to Selected tasks or to Visible tasks. After the action is completed all Selects could be cleared. Makes sense?

That is exactly what I was looking for. Right now I am using the Status field to flag and filter tasks for batch edit.
Thanks pawelkaleta and Jake for your answers!

This message was edited Oct 19, 2017.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.