ForumsQuestionsDisable Notes auto-edit

Disable Notes auto-edit
haim_1299373247

Posted: Nov 13, 2017
Score: 0 Reference
I click on a note and it's instantly editable - a keystroke away from overwriting precious data...
Yes, I can cancel my edits, but it's still a risk, and it's inconvenient, and it's something I always have to worry about.

I am wondering if it's possible to have a setting to disable the default auto-edit feature.

Thanks!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Are you talking about the Notes section or a note attached to a Task? Either way, it should be possible to read the note without entering edit mode. It only enters edit mode when you click on the note's text which is how Toodledo knows you want to edit it.
haim_1299373247

Thanks for the quick reply, Jake!

I'm talking about the standalone Notes section.

A click is not necessarily an intent to edit. I use the notes to store cryptic usernames, server names, long passwords, etc. I'd like to be able to copy them without going into edit mode.

Any ideas?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Ahh, I understand now. In the Notes section we do not have auto-save. So, if you click to enter edit mode and then accidentally make a change, you still have to click the "Save" button to save those changes. If you click cancel, or leave the page, or select another note, those changes will be discarded, so its pretty safe. You would have to click to enter edit mode, make an accidental edit and then click the save button.
haim_1299373247

Yes, Jake, all true...

But... I am too paranoid to trust my data to "pretty safe"... I pay Confluence $10/month for never having to worry about this, but it would be nice if I could consolidate my notes and tasks in one place... even at double this price...

Am I the only one to voice concern over this?
coolexplorer

Posted: Nov 14, 2017
Posted by Jake:
Ahh, I understand now. In the Notes section we do not have auto-save. So, if you click to enter edit mode and then accidentally make a change, you still have to click the "Save" button to save those changes. If you click cancel, or leave the page, or select another note, those changes will be discarded, so its pretty safe. You would have to click to enter edit mode, make an accidental edit and then click the save button.

Two, Three steps to edit and save in TD Notes seems more than enough to avoid accidents. Adding more steps would be ponderous. IMO.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 14, 2017
Right now, Toodledo's Notes section behaves like most desktop apps. If you open a spreadsheet in Excel or a document in a text editor, you can immediately edit that document, but changes are not saved until you press the save button. We are doing the same thing, so we're going to keep things as they are for now. Adding an extra "Are you sure you really want to save these changes" level of protection would just annoy users I think and not really add that much protection. The "Save" button is pretty small and hard to hit by accident.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.