ForumsQuestionsFurther UI Refinement

Further UI Refinement
Tripper

Posted: Dec 05, 2017
Score: 0 Reference
Jake and Co,

First off, thank you for your continued work in improving ToodleDo, especially in the core UX of the app.

On that note, I think many would agree that further visual cleanups are needed on the UI front. The best real-life example I could offer right now would be through the use of Stylish (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/stylish-custom-themes-for/fjnbnpbmkenffdnngjfgmeleoegfcff e?hl=en) for Chrome/Vivaldi, plus the Light Skin for TD by genez at UserStyles (https://userstyles.org/styles/150855/toodledo-lightskin). While you might not agree with every modification in that example, most of those changes alone make the app much more agreeable on the eyes. If you were to couple most of those changes with cleaner use of block elements (white fills instead of dark, blocky colors) and a few more material design cues, I think you could very easily find yourself at-par and perhaps even beyond the likes of Todoist, Any.do, etc., hopefully with minimal reworking of code.

I'm sure you're well aware of what I've suggested, and of course things such as this are much easier said than done, so I offer it with the utmost thanks for what you've already done, and I appreciate your continued efforts with the resources available.

Thanks!
Trip

This message was edited Dec 05, 2017.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Dec 05, 2017
Thanks for the suggestion. We do not comment on timeframes for implementation, but this is on our to-do list.

Thanks
genezyc

Posted: Dec 06, 2017
Tripper, I'm glad you liked my work on Toodledo Lightskin. I'm Gene, the author.

Believe it or not, Lightskin is a (very) casual project I started just to make the app usable for myself. Long story short, I'm a longtime Toodledo user, but after switching to Windows 10 recently (from macOS), I was so repulsed by the rendering of the site that my own productivity started to suffer (!!). I started tweaking the CSS just to unblock my own usage and regain my sanity. In other words, I haven't put much effort into the skin, other than to scratch my own itch, in a sense.

At this point I'd like to make some broader changes that more people will enjoy. But before I go unraveling the DOM and making bigger design decisions, I wanted to get my hands on real user feedback, either past user research from the makers of Toodledo, or feedback from users like Tripper who may be willing to consult with me as an end user (Tripper, are you up for a chat?).

I'm a UI / Interaction designer by trade, and I'd like to design some improvements. I suspect great improvements can be made with not a lot of effort, but I won't know for sure until I get some real feedback.

Jake, is there someone in your organization I can contact?

Thanks!

This message was edited Dec 07, 2017.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Dec 07, 2017
You can open a support ticket
Tripper

Posted: Dec 07, 2017
Hi Gene. Great to have you chime in. :)

I'd be happy to chat regarding feedback and anything further. You can drop me an email any time at: trip (at) outcometech (dot) com.

As a further note, I've gone to good lengths with most of the 3rd-party apps to see how much more I could squeeze out of the base platform, and while each app has its strong points, the whole combined effort has overall felt more fragmenting than anything else. So I think the answer lies in cleaning up and sticking to the core app itself, on all platforms. I suspect that's one of the main reasons why Todoist has commanded as much market-share as it has (apologies for bringing up the competition, but I do so with constructive intent).

Anyways, yes, let's see if and how we can contribute here. *thumbs up*

- Trip

This message was edited Dec 07, 2017.
genezyc

Posted: Dec 19, 2017
Trip,

I added the ability to customize fonts and priority task colors to my skin:
https://userstyles.org/styles/150855/toodledo-lightskin

For those who are interested, I also wrote up the thinking behind some of the key design decisions: https://goo.gl/KwwKVq

Enjoy!
Tripper

Posted: Dec 22, 2017
Gene,

As I mentioned via email, excellent work!

@Jake - I hope you'll consider integrating at least some of Gene's work, as I think most would agree the styling changes definitely enhance visual clarity.

Thanks again,
Trip
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.