ForumsQuestionsAnother request for making links open in new windows

Another request for making links open in new windows
Brian Matlock_1343862228

Posted: Jan 09, 2018
Score: 1 Reference
This has been commented on many times, but the threads were locked due to age. So I'm adding a new vote here that you change the default behavior when someone clicks on a link in the notes section that the link opens in a new tab instead of opening in the same tab and losing the users place in Toodledo. This costs me a little bit of time and frustration on a regular basis. Obviously, if I remember to right click I can manually make the request, but in the flow of a hectic day I frequently forget to do that. I don't think there's a situation in which I'd ever want to open a link in the same window from Toodledo.

I'm hoping you can implement that change.

This message was edited Jan 09, 2018.
Purveyor

Posted: Jan 09, 2018
Score: 0 Reference
Here's the relevant post by Jake from almost 6 years ago::
Personally, I hate it when websites spawn new windows. I much prefer for a link to open in the current window. There is a key that you can hold down on your keyboard when clicking to cause a link to open in a new window or new tab, based on your preference. So, the way it is now, you can have it both ways.

There is no key that you can press to make a link open in the current window that was going to open in a new window, so if we implemented the suggestion it would break it for all the people who want the link to open in the current window.

I suppose we could make this a user preference if there was enough demand, but I would suggest that you try the ctrl+click method. It is different for each browser and mac/pc, so it may not be ctrl+click for you.
Obviously, there isn't enough demand, according to Jake.

Even begging doesn't help:
Please please please!!!

Make links from task notes open in a new browser tab. It's really very annoying when I'm opening a link and all of a sudden it just replaces the ToodleDo window.
From Feb 10, 2015.

This message was edited Jan 09, 2018.
shelbyp

Posted: Jan 10, 2018
Note that to make a link open in a new window you can just middle-button click the link. I use that functionality all the time. I personally like to have my TD window open all the time so I just middle click any links I add. I prefer it as it is because as Jake correctly points out there is no way except by the default behaviour to force a link to open in the current window, however middle click always opens in a new tab.
coolexplorer

Posted: Jan 13, 2018
Posted by shelbyp:
Note that to make a link open in a new window you can just middle-button click the link. I use that functionality all the time. I personally like to have my TD window open all the time so I just middle click any links I add. I prefer it as it is because as Jake correctly points out there is no way except by the default behaviour to force a link to open in the current window, however middle click always opens in a new tab.

I did not know that after so many years using a computer and mouse. Tried it, it works consistently. Live and Learn.
Thanks a ton!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.