ForumsQuestionsImport CSV file into Lists

Import CSV file into Lists
tmjewell

Posted: Mar 19, 2018
Score: 0 Reference
How do I import a csv file with two columns into a List? I read the FAQ. I tried more than a dozen times. The best I can do is to get both columns into one column instead of two. The FAQ says, "Match up the columns found in the file with the columns that you created earlier or have it auto-create new columns." Example, I import a list with two columns (Item and Aisle). I am given a drop-down window to import the columns either in to Item or Aisle. If I choose Item, both of my columns are in one column called Item. If I choose Aisle, both of my columns are in one column called Aisle. The other column is empty. How can it be done?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 20, 2018
This is probably because your csv file isn't a proper csv file. CSV stands for "comma separated values". Im guessing your file has the columns separated by a tab instead, which is the most common mistake we see. This is actually a TSV file. It could also be you are using a semi-colon.

Hope that helps.

This message was edited Mar 20, 2018.
tmjewell

Posted: Mar 20, 2018
You were correct. It was tabs. My file had the suffix .csv, but somewhere in my manipulation of a downloaded list, it had become tabs. I kept loading the file into a spreadsheet and swamping columns around and saved it as a .csv every time, but now I know that isn't always true. I opened the file with Notepad++, saw tabs, and easily changed all those tabs to commas. Whew! Thanks.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.