ForumsQuestionsNotes from completed tasks...

Notes from completed tasks...
bobmac1547_1391065183

Posted: Mar 20, 2018
Score: 0 Reference
Yesterday, I was working on a large set of subtasks that were marked due for yesterday's date. They were subtasks of a task that was set for "Due Optionally" for yesterday's date.

I took MANY, MANY notes on each subtask. As each was completed, I checked it off as complete, fully expecting my notes to be recoverable.

However, today, I cannot find the notes. When I restored the deleted sub tasks, the notes did not come back.

What's up with this? Whether this is by design or by bug, if I can't recover these notes, then I've lost some 6 hours of phone and research work which is essentially not re-creatable.

HELP! HELP! HELP! HELP! HELP! HELP!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 20, 2018
I am sorry that this happened. Unfortunately, this is how optional tasks were designed to work. If you have not completed an optional task when the due-date passes, it will be deleted automatically.

https://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=42

In some cases, its possible to recover the note when restoring a deleted task, but not in the case of optional subtasks that were automatically deleted. I am sorry. This is something we are working on for the future.
bobmac1547_1391065183

Posted: Mar 21, 2018
The subscription page indicates that gold members (that's me!) have FULL HISTORY. That's a bold-faced lie!!!

Are there no backups? What kind of responsibility do you take for saying FULL HISTORY and then deleting all my work? If I have access to FULL HISTORY, then I should be able to recover the data in SOME way.

I AM FURIOUS, AND, YES, I AM SHOUTING!!!!!!!!!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
When you are done with a task you can either complete it or delete it. A deleted task is deleted as per the user's wishes (for privacy reasons). A completed task is kept in the history and if you have a Gold subscription it can be retained for longer than a free account's history.

When you delete a task, a partial record of it is kept for 30 days to allow people to recover accidentally deleted tasks. For technical reasons, it cannot restore a deleted task 100% accurately because some of the data is permanently deleted, but we are working to make this closer to 100% in the future.

We do maintain backups, but they are not usable to restore an individual task on an individual account. Our backups are for sitewide emergencies only. All users are encouraged to maintain their own backups: https://www.toodledo.com/tools/connect_backup.php

Again, I am sorry that this happened, but it was the correct behavior for the way you setup your tasks. I recommend that you avoid setting important tasks to be "optional" because this tells Toodledo that they aren't very important and so Toodledo doesn't take care to preserve them as carefully when they are deleted.
bobmac1547_1391065183

Posted by Jake:
I recommend that you avoid setting important tasks to be "optional" because this tells Toodledo that they aren't very important and so Toodledo doesn't take care to preserve them as carefully when they are deleted.

Sure wouldda been nice to have this information and a good warning in advance. I was using "optional"--per your instructions--to have a task rollover to the next day until it was complete. In fact, as your interface indicates, the DUE DATE was optional, not the task itself. My tasks marked "optional" were actually the most important ones, that's why I wanted them at the top of "today's list."

I do weekly backups of Toodledo, and nightly backups of all my local files. Obviously, that's of no help here.

Again, I did not DELETE ANY of these sub-tasks as I completed them. I just checked them off, knowing full well that if I just checked my completed tasks, that they would be there. NOT!

Am I missing something?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 22, 2018
You must have left the parent task unchecked, and since it didnt have a due-date and was marked as optional, Toodledo saw that it was no longer needed and deleted it and all of its subtasks. If you want an optional task to rollover to the next date, you must give it a due-date. Optional tasks should only be used for low importance tasks that dont really matter if they are skipped or deleted. When you label a task as "optional" you are telling Toodledo that the task is unimportant.

This behavior is described in our documentation: https://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=42

Again, I am sorry that this happened. We'll work to make sure that the definition of an optional task is more clearly communicated to our users.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.