ForumsQuestionsNeed advice for family collaboration

Need advice for family collaboration
korey99

Posted: Mar 22, 2018
Score: 0 Reference
Hello everyone-

I'm a long time user of ToodleDo, and have hundreds of open tasks, ranging from things that need to be done today all the down to "stuff I kinda want to do some day." I use contexts, folders, stars, due dates and a few tags.

I'm looking for advice for how to assign each family members a handful of tasks to focus on. I don't get overwhelmed with a giant list, but the rest of them would. Right now what I'm doing is using ToodleDo for me, and Todoist for my family (each one gets their own account and a shared list, which I can manage from my account). Ideally, I'd just have a widget on each family member's device that shows their list. That's what I'm doing with Todoist now (using only free accounts). It important that they can mark their tasks as completed (so not just seeing my tasks as view-only) and it would be helpful if I could view their lists without logging on to their accounts. Other than the fact that it's not ToodleDo, the Todoist shared list concept is what I'm after.

I don't mind having myself as a subscriber, but I don't intend to subscribe each family member for cost reasons and also because I'm not 100% sure I'll get them to adopt this system.

I subscribed myself to ToodleDo, but not my son, and have been playing with the collaboration features. I created a folder, put some tasks in it, and shared that folder with him. When logged on to his account, I'm having a hard time seeing both the native tasks that he created, and the joint tasks I've sent him. I see I can switch between our accounts, but I can't see both lists at the same time. I've also tried clicking on the share icon on my own tasks (in my account) but I can't send tasks to him.

Any suggestions?

Korey
Ummagumma

First, I don't think you can do it with Toodledo without signing up everybody. That's the whole idea behind making task collaboration a paid feature, isn't it ?

At any rate, if your family members aren't really into advanced task management, you're walking a thin line here ;) Mutinies can turn ugly...

You could probably see all tasks in all lists using Pocket Informant, and move tasks between Toodledo and whatever system your family is using. I am not sure if Informant syncs with Todoist but it does sync with Google tasks. It's been a while since I've used it. It's a subscription now anyway, probably not what you're after.

I have a similar setup using Calengoo, but it doesn't sync with Toodledo. The problem is, almost nothing syncs with Toodledo on the desktop, and not too many apps on mobile. :(

I use Apple Reminders lists shared with my family members, and expand on basic functionality using Calengoo on mobile and Outlook on Windows. Basically, the only added feature that we all use is custom alerts that can be set independently of due date. There's more added functionality that only I use (start dates, labels, priorities) but they are transparent to others. That's the beauty of Reminders based system - it's not overwhelming from the start, and everyone can use pnly the features they want without having to deal with complicated task detail dialogs.

A similar setup could be achieved using Google tasks.

But I don't see how you do it in Toodledo without getting everyone a subscription.
korey99

Thanks for the insight.

Not wanting any mutinies, I currently give each person a simple task list of ~5 items. I take on all the management of priority, etc. to make sure they know the top priorities (at least as I see them :) )

I like ToodleDo because I can shut off most of the features for the more free-form/less list-making members of the family, whereas I can over-categorize to my heart's content.

I think I'll stick with Todoist for the others, unless someone else has another idea. I'll investigate syncing between system like you mentioned. Maybe IFTTT can help.
Ummagumma

IFFTT seems like the coolest idea in the world until it royally screws things up.

What mobile OS are you on ?
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.