ForumsQuestionsHow am I notified when my subscription expires? Is expiring?

How am I notified when my subscription expires? Is expiring?
Ob-La-Di+ruben

Posted: Oct 02, 2018
Score: 0 Reference
Hi,

Boy, I've been struggling for a chunk of today and thought that I was losing my mind. The subtask icon and explode/collapse functionality just seemed to up and disappear. I thought there was a bug in the system but couldn't find mention of it anywhere. I thought perhaps I'd disabled the displaying of that and have been digging around in my profile.

Finally I stumbled across the date of my subscription renewal and realized that it was today and, of course, if one is running the free version, there is no subtask functionality.

Surely, toodledo must notify a user before the subscription expires and I won't have to fall into this pit of confusion every year (or two years now that I did a 2-year renewal) to figure out it's time to renew my subscription?

I searched thru my email and see no notification that it was time to renew or expiration date was approaching.

Surely this isn't what everyone else is going thru? (I'm thinking perhaps there is an auto-renewal functionality that others are using but didn't go looking for that yet -- is that how others are avoiding this?)

Thanks much!
J.O.D.

Score: 1 Reference
I am not sure about the e-mail, but on web I can see the notification like two weeks before expiring, pestering me to no end because I have monthly auto-renewing subscription and 2 weeks every 4 weeks is for me a bit...a lot much. But I got used to it. I don't know about the apps.
aaron.c.salls

Hi Ruben,

While we have in-app and email notifications today when a subscription is expiring, these can be easy to miss given they're behind menus.

The good news is we are building auto-renewal functionality for annual subscriptions (launching very soon), and in parallel we're revamping those renewal notifications to make them more prominent in-app. These two changes will go a long way to mitigating the experience you've had, while at the same time also giving folks plenty of advance notice when a subscription is coming up on its renewal date.

We believe Toodledo is such a powerful part of folks' workflows because of how much folks feel in control of their tasks. We intend to bring that same level of transparency and feeling of in control to the subscriptions and billing aspects of the product, too.

Let me know if you have any further issues or need help closing this situation -- always available at [email protected] to hear how we can continuously improve the experience for you all.

-- Aaron
[email protected]
J.O.D.

Thanks for the info, Aaron. Would there also be a way to cancel such reminder on expiring once for all when using a monthly auto-renewing subcription?

Jan

Posted by aaron.c.salls:
Hi Ruben,

While we have in-app and email notifications today when a subscription is expiring, these can be easy to miss given they're behind menus.

The good news is we are building auto-renewal functionality for annual subscriptions (launching very soon), and in parallel we're revamping those renewal notifications to make them more prominent in-app. These two changes will go a long way to mitigating the experience you've had, while at the same time also giving folks plenty of advance notice when a subscription is coming up on its renewal date.

We believe Toodledo is such a powerful part of folks' workflows because of how much folks feel in control of their tasks. We intend to bring that same level of transparency and feeling of in control to the subscriptions and billing aspects of the product, too.

Let me know if you have any further issues or need help closing this situation -- always available at [email protected] to hear how we can continuously improve the experience for you all.

-- Aaron
[email protected]
Ob-La-Di+ruben

Posted by aaron.c.salls:
Hi Ruben,

(...)

-- Aaron
[email protected]

Thanks much, for the update, Aaron.

I use the Toodledo app on IOS but access it primarily thru the web interface on Windows10/7 PC's. My immediate problem is no longer an issue now that I've re-subscribed, but I'm confused what you mean by "email notifications (...) behind menus." I didn't receive any emails regarding the impending expiration.

Also, I'm unclear what "in-app (...) notification" I missed behind a menu, as well.

Am not trying to sound sarcastic, but, in a way, if people like Jan seem to be getting barraged by toodledo emails, perhaps I'm better off with not hearing anything. However, I'd prefer not to be left in the dark if there's a system outage, major upgrade or bug or other communication that I might want to be in the loop on if toodledo is not configured correctly on my end to allow those kinds of notifications to get to me.

Any clarification most appreciated.

Thanks..
J.O.D.

I was talking about notifications on the web (when clicking on profile photo, in the menu there is a notification, and a number of unread notifications on the photo itself), not about e-mails.

Jan

Posted by ruben_becker:
Posted by aaron.c.salls:
Hi Ruben,

(...)

-- Aaron
[email protected]

Am not trying to sound sarcastic, but, in a way, if people like Jan seem to be getting barraged by toodledo emails, perhaps I'm better off with not hearing anything. However, I'd prefer not to be left in the dark if there's a system outage, major upgrade or bug or other communication that I might want to be in the loop on if toodledo is not configured correctly on my end to allow those kinds of notifications to get to me.

Any clarification most appreciated.

Thanks..

This message was edited Oct 02, 2018.
aaron.c.salls

Thanks all the clarifying questions. Our intention is to make sure users are aware of changes (e.g. subscription lapsing) or charges (e.g. if subscription is renewing) so that folks avoid unpleasant surprises to their workflow. This is more likely for folks on our annual plans, and we think one notification a year (as it is now) is a good place to start.

For users on our monthly plan, we hear the feedback to not dilute the in-app channel with many repetitive notifications (i.e. monthly renewal reminders). There's many ways we could do this, but our intention is users should control their experience and there should be no surprises -- settings is a great way to do that.
Ob-La-Di+ruben

Hi Aaron,

I went back and checked again and did actually get an email notifying me that my subscription was expiring (sent on 9/27). I don't know how I missed that but it got buried in with all my daily toodledo hotlist emails (which I need to turn off as I don't look at them anymore). Also, the sender was listed as "Aaron Salls" rather than "Toodledo-something" so when I scanned my pile of unread emails, it didn't stand out.

So, the problem was entirely my fault and self-inflicted. One email from you all should be sufficient tho perhaps two wouldn't be overkill? (one perhaps a month before and a second one a week before -- in my case it was just a single note, 5 days before expiration)

For my specific case where I stupidly blundered into my situation, I guess it would have been ideal if there was a banner message on the toodledo web interface alerting me that my subscription had expired, but I realize adding that (aside from being low on new feature prioritization) would take up valuable real estate and introduce a whole host of other complaints from users depending on what toodledo decided to message users about and how easy it was to make it go away.

Thanks again and sorry for bothering you all. Love Toodledo -- it's been a life-saver.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.