ForumsQuestionsbug with IFTTT integration with completed tasks with tag?

bug with IFTTT integration with completed tasks with tag?
shelbyp

Posted: Oct 27, 2018
Score: 0 Reference
I have tested quite a bit and I am unable to get the following situation to work reliably.

In IFTTT I create a task which is triggered when a a toodledo task is completed with tag "XXX"
This IFTTT task creates a new task in ToodleDo with a new tag "YYY"

I have tested extensively and it doesn't seem to work. In fact it seems the completed task with tag is not triggering (I tested the Check Now button).

Anyone else have issues here, this TD /IFTTT integration would be extremely useful if it works reliably. We can actually simulate dependent tasks in simple situations where a new task is auto-matically created when a previous one completes (something that has been requested often in the forums).

In simple scenarios this workaround using IFTTT would be acceptable (eg setting up recurring exercise /practice schedules where a small set of different operations are performed in sequence and then repeated).

This feature is extensively requested (but not yet implemented in competitors from what I see RTM, Wunderlist and Todoist). Todoist does provide an out of the box recipe for this on IFTTT here: https://ifttt.com/applets/220391p-if-todoist-task-with-label-is-completed-create-new-task

Would be nice to have the equivalent IFTTT recipe available with TD. However I am quite sure there is a bug here. I would be happy to set it up myself, but can't seem to work around the bug.

This message was edited Oct 27, 2018.
shelbyp

Posted: Oct 28, 2018
Score: 1 Reference
I just want to follow-up, I have tested the IFTTT completed task in folder and I have similar issues, it works sometimes, but seems unreliable.

How much time is required between when a task is completed and when the task fires. For IFTTT to be useful this cannot be two long. For the TD tasks the IFTTT applet reads "This Applet usually runs within a few hours"!!! That is really way to slow to be useful. it is written also that most applets run in about 15minutes. IT would be acceptable if this could be achieved, ideally it would be just a few minutes.

Given the discussions about future improvements to TD, I really think investing in IFTTT is worthwhile in the following areas:

-reliability and speed
- add missing fields (context, date due etc as recorded by a number of users in the forums)
- add additional triggers which would allow us to better refine how the triggering is done.

IFTTT can be extremely helpful for TD since once your API is in place the open source community will be working for free developping applets. In addition as more an more web services go online through IFTTT, TD can leverage also without further development.

In short a small investment in this technology can really help TD reach a new level. The number of webservices now connected to IFTTT has just skyrocketed since TD added this functionality a few years ago. However the TD integration remains primitive and quite limiting relative to what is possible. I will add some of this post to the feature request board.
shelbyp

Posted: Oct 28, 2018
Score: 0 Reference
I did not see the error tab in IFTTT before, but I see now that there are clear indications that it is the Toodledo webservice which is failing regularly for whatever reason. my applets are quite simple. Even the applet create task when I star a gmail task is failing occasionally on the toodledo side, which means I am missing tasks.

Would be nice to have some feedback if this will be investigated/fixed shortly, I actually depend quite a bit on IFTTT.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.