ForumsQuestions'Hotlist' doesn't work properly

'Hotlist' doesn't work properly
Armin_3

Posted: Dec 12, 2018
Score: 0 Reference
Since a few days the Hotlist feature does not work properly. In my tasks I only use 3 levels of priorities: 0-Low, 3-Top and 3-Top with star. The hotlist settings are: Priority: at least 2-Medium, due date 1 (= past and present tasks), marked with a star. However, with a few exceptions (I can't detect a system for these exceptions?!) most future tasks will be shown and also tasks with priority 0-Low will be shown. What am I doing wrong?
J.O.D

As far as I know, the conditions are not cumulative, so a priority 0 task with present due date will show. A future task with priority 2+ will be shown etc. Are you sure, this is not the case?

EDIT: There is no star condition in hotlist settings!? Are you talking about a saved search by a chance? Or maybe it is just for the old layout (which is legacy and not being developed, so perhaps some error)? I can see that the help section mentions the star, but this is not in my settings...

This message was edited Dec 12, 2018.
Armin_3

Hi josef, I'm happy to hear about my problem. First of all, the general: I'm using the new layout, I'm not talking about a saved search, but about the 3 preformatted filters 'All tasks', 'Starred' and finally 'Hotlist' at the top left of the main page. In my settings menu for the 'Hotlist' there is the option starred or not. You can't leave the setting for priority empty, the menu doesn't allow that. In the setting for the due date you can delete the value, but then the program automatically sets the >0<. It doesn't matter which setting I choose, the filter result doesn't really change anything basic.
Armin_3

... josef ?? ... sorry ... J. O. D. ... the grinch did it ... ;)
J.O.D

Posted: Dec 13, 2018
Hm... There is some mischief going on, because I am on my newly created account (I have been here for years, but kept deleting and recreating accounts...) on Silver plan and on new layout. In the section My Tasks I have just All tasks and Hotlist...oh! I am not using the star field! So let me check on this... Aha, the setting for hotlist is only available, when the Start field is enabled. Logical, but still you got me:-)

So now I have priority at least 2, due date 1 and starred. The only thing "wrong" about the hotlist is, that subtasks with priority -1 are all shown (and uncollapsed), if the parent task is on hotlist visible (priority 2), other than that the hotlist seem right. I have tried disabling starred setting in hotlist, it worked. Changing priority also works. Etc.

The thing is, once again, that these conditions are OR, not AND, so if your future task (I assume by future you mean due date after today) either has priority 2+ or a star, it would still show up. This is how hotlist works. Maybe you can give us an example of a task, which you think should not be on the hotlist?

However, on the roadmap there is In Progress a feature to link hotlist to a saved search, which would allow you to solve this by defining your hotlist precisely as you want (as the built-in conditions are highly limited).

This message was edited Dec 13, 2018.
Armin_3

Hi - nice to hear from you. Now I at least understand how the hotlist works. I.e., what I need, tasks filtered out with priority higher than 2 and today and in the past doesn't work like that. This is not really clever solved by Toodledo. So if I enter the priority of at least 2 in the hotlist settings, then I basically get all tasks with this priority displayed: past, present and future. Then the 2nd filter criterion (0 or 1) to display tasks only from the past or tasks from today and the past is completely superfluous. The program still shows the future tasks that I am not interested in at the moment, because they correspond to the first filter criterion ... ?. Really unhappy! Well - we have to live with it ... when is there the possibility of the self-designed search / filtering?
Dr.Asimov

This option exists. In the past I used to go to the Hotlist but later discovered Saved Searches, a much more powerful option. There are good reviews about it in this forum. With Saved Searches you can build your highly customized 'Hotlist'. For instance, my go-to list now is my 'Active Tasks" list that is a Saved Search with lots of customized filters. My list shows only active tasks (Next Action, Wating, Delegated), any task with star, excludes planning or 'inbox' tasks (tasks with fields not properly completed) with a horizon of 45 days (so I don't see tasks due too far in the past or future). Then I sort my list by Due Date, Priority, Length:

Match All criteria
Checked Off = no
AND
Status is Next Action
OR Starred = yes
OR Status is Waiting
OR Status is Delegated
AND
Folder is not No Folder
AND
Due Date is in the 45 days
OR Due Date doesn't exist
OR Due Date was in the last 45 days
AND
Status is not Active
AND
Status is not Planning
AND
Status is not No Status
AND
Status is not Someday
J.O.D

Posted: Dec 14, 2018
Score: 1 Reference
I was also going to highly recommend a saved search. Actually, I am not using any of the standandard views, and especially not the hotlist. To add to Dr.Asimov's use, my hotlist contains taks either overdue or due today, then tasks with priority 2 and due tomorrow, taks with priority 3 and due within 5 days. I think you get the picture.
Armin_3

Posted: Dec 18, 2018
Hello both of you, thank you very much for your support! I just joined today, but now I've been working with saved searches and I've been able to put it together just as I need it - great! I didn't even get the idea to do what I want to do with a saved search. Sometimes you are simply blocked. Greetings from Frankfurt, Germany
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.