ForumsQuestionsIssue with 'Repeat with Parent'

Issue with 'Repeat with Parent'
nobrandheroes

Posted: Dec 19, 2018
Score: 0 Reference
I have a task, with two subtasks.

The task repeats every Mon - Sat, and the subtasks are set to repeat with parent. Due date is set to optional.

How do I get the subtasks to reappear everyday the parent does?
J.O.D

What exactly does not work for you? If I complete e.g. just one subtask, then the parent, the next iteration of parent has both subtasks uncompleted. I will leave the parent with optional due today and one uncompleted subtask and will report back tomorrow, how it goes. Still, what does not work for you?

Posted by nobrandheroes:
I have a task, with two subtasks.

The task repeats every Mon - Sat, and the subtasks are set to repeat with parent. Due date is set to optional.

How do I get the subtasks to reappear everyday the parent does?
nobrandheroes

Posted by J.O.D:
What exactly does not work for you? If I complete e.g. just one subtask, then the parent, the next iteration of parent has both subtasks uncompleted. I will leave the parent with optional due today and one uncompleted subtask and will report back tomorrow, how it goes. Still, what does not work for you?

In this case, the subtasks did not update. If it works like you say, then it may be something else going on.
J.O.D

Posted: Dec 20, 2018
Well, this didn't work. The parent has moved to today's due date, but the subtasks didn't get reset. So completing parent manually works, but letting the optional due date on parent pass not (for the subtasks).

But considering the following excerpts from help center, this seems to be the intended behaviour - as not completing a repeating parent moves it to next du date, preserving the state of With Parent subtasks.

"Optionally on:
You can also designate a task as optional (abbreviated with a "?"). This acts like "=", but if the date passes and you have not completed the task, the task will be automatically removed, or moved forward if it is a repeating task."

"If you have a task that is set to repeat and this task contains subtasks, those subtasks may or may not get carried forward depending on your settings. To have a subtask carried forward when you complete a repeating parent task, you must set the subtask to repeat in some fashion. Subtasks have an additional repeating option of "With Parent" which can be used when you only want to complete a subtask once within each occurrence of the parent task. Subtasks that do not repeat are considered to be one-time tasks that will not be carried forward when you complete the parent task."

You could try setting all the subtasks to also be due optionally on the same date, with or without "with parent" (I am not using such tasks, so I don't know what else will fail in this workaround).

This message was edited Dec 20, 2018.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.