ForumsQuestionsIs it possible to create "standard" tasks?

Is it possible to create "standard" tasks?
jdicey

Posted: Dec 23, 2018
Score: 0 Reference
Is it possible to set up a list of standard tasks that are available as a dropdown? I have an annual work cycle and we do the same tasks each year - ideally I want to be able to load the tasks once and then access them. In a perfect world I would be able to add notes related to these as well.

Any suggestions gratefully received...
MM1772

Posted: Dec 23, 2018
You could always create one task, then use the dropdown to "Clone this task." Give each clone a different due date.
cj

Posted: Dec 24, 2018
This question (and the answer) implies an interesting new feature request:
Under "clone" might be

Clone From ....

where a popup of, say, 5 pre-set task-names to choose. and toodledo clones from the one you click.
sandy_1291474649

Posted: Dec 28, 2018
Score: 1 Reference
I have a spreadsheet I set up with travel tasks, so each time I book a trip, it's ready to upload. Seems like a similar thing might work for you.

add'l details: it's a list of all travel tasks, so some get deleted before upload if they're not pertinent for a specific trip. In Excel, I enter the trip dates & use them to calculate the task dates (e.g., the task "packing" starts at TripStart-3 days and is due at TripStart-1 day). I save it as a csv file and upload to ToodleDo as needed.
MM1772

Posted: Dec 29, 2018
Posted by sandy_1291474649:
I have a spreadsheet I set up with travel tasks

Interesting! For a while I had travel tasks as separate tasks in Toodledo, but couldn't find an easy way to manage them since, as you noted, the same tasks might not apply to each trip. (One example I remember was a back-to-back business trip at a business-class hotel followed by a camping trip... Talk about different tasks and things to pack!)

I eventually loaded the tasks into Excel, with tasks in rows and trips in two columns: Needed and Done. For a trip I'd done before (annual business conference), I'd start with what I did the year before and quickly scan the tasks/packing items. If I needed to do it again this year, I'd type y in the Needed column. After I finished, I'd use the filter to show only the tasks/packing items that had a y in the column. That became my To Do list. After doing a task or packing an item, I'd put a y in the Done column. I'd filter so that it showed only items that had a y in the Needed column and a blank Done column.

I kept the spreadsheet in Microsoft OneDrive, where I could access it from my PC since most of my packing and so on happened at home. Toward the end, I'd copy any remaining tasks to a single Toodledo task.

I manually had to copy tasks into Toodledo if they had to be done by a specific date (for example, immunizations before a foreign trip). I never thought about calculating the dates like you did and then importing from a .CSV! That's a great idea.
sandy_1291474649

Posted: Dec 30, 2018
Score: 1 Reference
Posted by MM1772:

calculating the dates like you did and then importing from a .CSV

There's a trick: my Excel template calculates the dates, but before saving as CSV you have to copy/paste values to get it to work.

I also use markers in each task name so I can easily sort then delete the (for example) foreign or car trip or visiting trip-tasks.

My task names contain a lot of info: trip name/date + task marker (foreign, post-trip, etc.) + actual task. This is because I travel a fair bit, so I'm likely to have several instances of the same actual task in my ToodleDo list.
mark.caudle

Posted: Jan 04, 2019
I'm a longtime Toodledo subscriber. I've been incredibly frustrated by the lack of a powerful batch editing facility and a way to work with standard task lists. For example, I create a task with subtasks for something I do on a regular basis. For the original, I set up the start and due dates, and all the subtasks mirror the start and due date of the parent, which makes it much easier when I'm entering the list of subtasks. Then I clone the parent task to set up the task and its subtasks for the next quarter. ALL the start dates and due dates clone as well, and I have to edit them one at a time, sub-task by sub-task. Why no setting to force any edits to the parent to automatically confer to the subtasks? Why no ability to randomly select a group of tasks and batch edit (rather than having to construct a search)?

I think a lot in terms of parent tasks with subtasks, and many of these are recurring. The issue I'm describing here makes the cloning feature almost worthless.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Mark
davek

Posted: Jan 04, 2019
This is what I do for travel activities, and other similar activities.

I create a parent travel task with all the regular subtasks with no due dates on any of them. When I need to plan a trip, I simply clone the parent (which also gives me a clone of all the sub tasks), and then assign due dates to the newly created tasks.

I use due dates for everything in Toodledo, except these template tasks, so they don't get in the way on a day-to-day basis.

My list of subtasks is relatively small (20 or so), so it's not a big job to set the dates individually.

This message was edited Jan 04, 2019.
Michael_49

Posted: Jan 06, 2019
Score: 2 Reference
Here's a different solution for templates....

I have a NOTE called "Templates". Each line item of the list is a separate task in the order I want them to be in. When I need that particular list of tasks, I copy the block of tasks (as text). Then, I create a new Task, choose "add multiple tasks", and paste them there as one block. After that, I can tweak the fields etc.
sandy_1291474649

Posted: Jan 06, 2019
Posted by Michael_49:

Here's a different solution for templates....

I have a NOTE called "Templates". Each line item of the list is a separate task in the order I want them to be in. When I need that particular list of tasks, I copy the block of tasks (as text). Then, I create a new Task, choose "add multiple tasks", and paste them there as one block. After that, I can tweak the fields etc.

Thanks, Michael -- I had no idea about this feature!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.