ForumsQuestionsI'm seeing adverts on the Toodledo website

I'm seeing adverts on the Toodledo website
Duo

Posted: May 08, 2019
Score: 1 Reference
Since when has this been a thing?

I switched to the new layout to double-check something before answering a question someone asked and to my surprise there were adverts in the sidebar.

I am from the EU and I certainly didn't specifically opt into the sharing of my data with or agree to accept cookies from third parties for the purpose of advertising, as the GDRP legislation requires.

Also, I remember Aaron saying this last year,

"We are not adding advertising to Toodledo. We strongly believe the existing subscription model is the best model for us and our users"

when replying in a thread about a change in the privacy policy that seemed to allow advertising.

So, when did he go back on this and start selling his users to advertisers?

The content of Aaron's reply from last year is below:

https://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/26265/-117915/new-privacy-policy-advertisements.html
New Privacy Policy: Advertisements

Posted: Oct 25, 2018

"Hi everyone,

I want to set the record straight. We’re updating our Policies to reflect changes in data privacy laws. We’ve added details about your ability to manage the information you share with us, and the new tools we’ve created to help you do that.

This updated Policy will give you more control over your information and more clearly explains how we use it. Our core commitments regarding your privacy haven’t changed.

+ We are not adding advertising to Toodledo. We strongly believe the existing subscription model is the best model for us and our users
+ We are using paid acquisition to grow our new user base, which includes advertising to our target audience. We’ve mentioned this in the past here and here. The new language covers the tools we use to target and track conversion and ROI of these marketing efforts.

Thanks,
Aaron"
jzamoras

Score: 0 Reference
Duo, can you post a screenshot? I'm seeing anything
Duo

Larry2

Are you on the free version? I've been running the old web site version to check out what you're seeing and switched to the new version but I'm not seeing ads in either. I am logged in under my old Silver plan. I'm in the USA.

This message was edited May 08, 2019.
Duo

Yes, I see this on the free version.
JMS_W&C

Posted by Duo:
Yes, I see this on the free version.

Same here. And beside the GDPR, not sure about the relevance in the advertising: I am in London, yet the ad is for a Communist Museum in Prague?

Purveyor

I'm curious about how Aaron and Anant will respond.

Toodledo's Privacy Policy says that they will "use your information in a number of different ways", including:
To deliver relevant website content and advertisements to you and measure or understand the effectiveness of the advertising we serve to you
There's a section on Advertising Cookies:
And of course, there are cookies that collect information about your browsing habits in order to make any advertising that is delivered to you more relevant to you and your interests. They are usually placed by advertising networks with our permission. They remember that you have visited a website and this information is then shared with other organizations such as advertisers. Quite often, targeting or advertising cookies will be linked to site functionality provided by the other organization. This is also why when you’ve been on one of our websites, you might see some tools that you previously looked at on our websites. This includes retargeting.

Cookies can also tell us if you have seen a specific advertisement, and how long it has been since you have seen it. This is helpful, because it means we can control the effectiveness of our advertisements and control the number of times people might be shown our advertisements.

jzamoras

what about using an ad blocker?
pawelkaleta

I've just checked and I can see cookies-based ads too on my free account. The list of tags and then, the list of ...hotels. It looks sooooo stupid now :)

BTW, this new "feature" seems to exist on some different Roadmap I guess as it's not on the one we have all access to. Or I'm missing something.
Jacek Kubek

Posted: May 09, 2019
Score: 1 Reference
Ads at free accounts, doubled prices for subscribers...

I afraid that "the new direction" of Toodledo development will lead many of us to say "Good by, Toodledo".

Very sad:-((
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.