ForumsQuestionsUploading Palm memo woes

Uploading Palm memo woes
j.l.bixby

Posted: Aug 14, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Hi. I'm a new user of Toodledo and am having problems uploading memos from my Palm Desktop (Windows) for synching with Notebook on my iPhone. I was able to accomplish this once but found that individual entries were cut quite short (csv file is only 32 kb) I erased all entries from Toodledo Notebook, cleaned up by Palm memos a bit and tried to upload them again but failed to get any loaded. There was a complete list of entries shown after the upload but after I entered the proper headlines and hit Save Changes there were no entries in the Toodledo notebook. Any idea what went wrong this time?
Anders

I'm not sure what's going on there, but here are some guesses. Make sure you are using the Notebook import, and not the Task import (they are on the same page). Other than that, as long as it is a normal CSV, I really don't know what could be happening. Perhaps a text encoding issue. Seems possible since it sounds like you exported this file from a Palm program, and then edited it in another program, the encoding may have been messed up. Perhaps try saving in UTF-8.

With regard to the first time you tried to import with the shortened notes, were they truncated during export from Palm, or did they appear okay in the CSV file, but then get cut off when you imported them to Toodledo?
j.l.bixby

Hi, Anders. Understandable suspicion but I did use the Notebook import function. This is really odd. The upload looks fine on the setup screen, without truncation. I just can't get it to load into the software. I don't recall if the earlier (successful) upload was truncated during export from Palm. I just tried it again, unsuccessfully,for the umpteenth time. The only handling of these files I did was to upload them one time and get the truncation, then delete them from Toodledo notebook and Notebook on the iPhone. I wiped Toodledo notebook clean before trying to re-upload. I don't know what UTF-8 is but I'm willing to give it a try.
Anders

Something you could try is simply opening the file with a spreadsheet program (or even a text editor), and then re-saving it.
You could also start a support ticket with Toodledo and attach the file, but keep in mind that non-Pro users only get two support tickets: http://www.toodledo.com/info/ticket.php
If you want, you could send me the file at anders_royce at hotmail.com, and I would take a look at it. I can't make any promises, but if it is a normal CSV, it really should work.
melissa

Posted: Feb 06, 2010
Thank you for the suggestion to open in Excel, save as csv, and try again. My memos did upload this time and I'm amazed. As a normal CSV, even made on Excel 2003, it worked. Again, thank you.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.