ForumsQuestionsToodledo still alive?

Toodledo still alive?
CharleneTX

Posted: Jan 17, 2021
Score: 0 Reference
Posted by mlb32704:

IF Toodledo shuts down, AND TaskAngel hasn't completed their cross platform solution, AND none of the other solutions work for you, there is one solution that will work, right now, independent of Toodledo servers and connectivity altogether - TickTick. You would only need to import data from a Toodledo .CSV export, which you should be doing as a backup on a regular basis anyway. I'm not a fan of TickTick anymore because they have only ONE sort criteria and have no plans to change that functionality, which is a showstopper for me. But it does work, and it looks and behaves a lot like Toodledo. I know that they have Web and iOS apps, not sure about Android. They are a distant second from Task Angel imho but it does work, today.

I've already migrated to Todoist. My Toodledo subscription runs until August, so I'm still checking the forums occasionally on the off chance Toodledo comes back. Todoist mostly works for me with some work arounds, but I definitely prefer Toodledo.
JS- Emergency Management

Posted: Jan 21, 2021
I have considered Toodledo DEAD. Which isa a shame. It had such potential if someone would have actually purchased it that cared. I had five different accounts. All except this one had Gold, now plus subscriptions. Even on this account now my recurring tasks don't always repeat which is a ridiculous bug to not have repaired from a year ago.

Speaking of subscriptions, I last renewed four of my accounts last September, since last September is the last time there was an optimistic post from the owner or developer, I have filed a credit card claim for those four subscription purchases. It is not a ton of money that I got back but it is more the principal of the matter.

I have moved some of my accounts to Tick Tick and will probably use Todoist for others. I have tried many todo platforms and those seem to be the best two that will work for me.

Good riddance Toodledo.
bandit

Toodledo is a great app with a loyal user base. It would be great if someone would buy it and bring back confidence to the users, and we’d all be able to stick with it and be happy!

Like most I’ve been on a quest for a suitable replacement (no luck yet).

One of the many features I like about Toodledo is the ability to forward emails so they become tasks. Which apps have any of you found that have this feature?

I also like setting up recurring tasks and the ability to have uncompleted tasks carry forward (works good in Toodledo). Which apps have any of you found that has this functionality?
Ummagumma

Posted by bandit:

One of the many features I like about Toodledo is the ability to forward emails so they become tasks. Which apps have any of you found that have this feature?

It depends on many factors - platform / OS, email provider, etc. It gets really complicated when you are using a mix of email providers, task providers, devices and operating systems.

If you're using all Microsoft (Outlook, MS Todo, Outlook.com or Exchange email) or all Apple (Reminders, Apple email address) then any flagged email is shown in the task list in the corresponding program / app (ToDo or Reminders). That's probably the simplest way.

I am using a mix of both - Outlook.com for personal, Exchange for work email, iOS Reminders for personal tasks (with GoodTask running on top of that data to provide extra features) and Exchange tasks for work tasks.

The easiest way to turn an email into a task is by using Siri - "Hey Siri remind me about this email at 9 am on Thursday". It will create a task with that email title and a link back to the email. That link will only work on iOS devices, which is fine with me for personal tasks, as I mainly review them on my phone or iPad. On the work laptop, I just create a new task from email using Outlook, which only takes one click.

I also like setting up recurring tasks and the ability to have uncompleted tasks carry forward (works good in Toodledo). Which apps have any of you found that has this functionality?

I don't recall how Toodledo "carries forward" incomplete tasks. I assume you're talking about "recur after completion" functionality, where a task that is set to recur monthly will recur a month after the previous instance was completed, and not a month after its due date ? If so, GoodTask has this functionality. Not sure about other ones.
bandit

Posted by Ummagumma:

I don't recall how Toodledo "carries forward" incomplete tasks. I assume you're talking about "recur after completion" functionality, where a task that is set to recur monthly will recur a month after the previous instance was completed, and not a month after its due date ? If so, GoodTask has this functionality. Not sure about other ones.

To have uncompleted tasks automatically carried forward set the due date as “Optionally on” and then specify how often, or when, you want it to repeat if you don’t get it done on the date. So if you specify you want it to repeat daily, if it’s not completed on the optional due date, it will automatically carry forward to the next day. You can also specify if you want it to carry forward to only specific week days, or other variations. It’s very flexible.

And, as long as you have your Toodledo email address, any email can be forwarded so that it becomes a task in Toodledo, so I’m hoping there are other to-do apps that have this same type of feature.
Larry3

Posted: Jan 22, 2021
Posted by bandit:
Posted by Ummagumma:

To have uncompleted tasks automatically carried forward set the due date as “Optionally on” and then specify how often, or when, you want it to repeat if you don’t get it done on the date. So if you specify you want it to repeat daily, if it’s not completed on the optional due date, it will automatically carry forward to the next day. You can also specify if you want it to carry forward to only specific week days, or other variations. It’s very flexible.

And, as long as you have your Toodledo email address, any email can be forwarded so that it becomes a task in Toodledo, so I’m hoping there are other to-do apps that have this same type of feature.

I think Todoist can do that based on the Project (their name for List). At least they used to as I had one for my ToDo list but haven't used it for over a year.
SquidgyFishy

Posted: Jan 24, 2021
Posted by fdoten:
Hi SquidgyFishy - interesting concept with Excel! Would love to see your Excel doc!
Any way to see a sample?

Hi fdoten, I'll see if there's a way i can get a santised version i can upload. In the meantime, these two were my inspirations for design:
https://medium.com/better-humans/how-to-implement-a-killer-gtd-system-in-google-sheets-ad9c9857a8bd
https://gettingthingsdone.com/2009/08/google-spreadsheet-as-a-gtd-list-manager/

I decided not to tie together projects and next actions like the one from Mike Strum. It never worked that well on toodles anyway, so I didn't feel i was missing anything.

I'm so much happier with excel i have to say. These past few weeks have been amazing, and the constant worry that it might all just fall over at a moments notice has left.
betsys

I was billed in July and still have a Standard account. Subtasks are still working for me.

I've moved my work todos over to Remember the Milk and that is working OK for me, but I'm enjoying the separation of work and home into two different apps. Hoping Toodledo survives! (and taking weekly backups)

my ideal replacement would have a web, ios, and apple watch app.

It would be possible to use RTM for both personal and work but since I have multiple lists in both, it would mean making a lot of fairly complex smart lists to get everything sorted out (on the plus side RTM does allow very complex queries)
fdoten

Score: 1 Reference
Thank you for your reply, SquidgyFishy! Will check them out.
SquidgyFishy

Posted: Jan 25, 2021
Posted by fdoten:
Thank you for your reply, SquidgyFishy! Will check them out.

You're welcome!
bandit

Posted: Jan 26, 2021
Posted by SquidgyFishy:

I'll see if there's a way i can get a santised version i can upload. In the meantime, these two were my inspirations for design:
https://medium.com/better-humans/how-to-implement-a-killer-gtd-system-in-google-sheets-ad9c9857a8bd
https://gettingthingsdone.com/2009/08/google-spreadsheet-as-a-gtd-list-manager/

SquidgyFishy, thank you for these links.

I’d put my entire life into Excel spreadsheets if I had the time, and have thought about doing this for my tasks/to do list. It’s easy enough to export the entire Toodledo To Do list, which is a wonderful starting point for anyone to create a spreadsheet to meet their individual needs. I use the Toodledo app almost exclusively on my iPhone, occasionally on my iPad, and rarely access it via the web on my desktop. While I could access a spreadsheet from any device, I really like the Toodledo interface (which is also much better than a spreadsheet on the iPhone or iPad) and some of the functionality built into Toodledo. I could create a spreadsheet then use it in parallel with Toodledo for a while to see if I could get used to it and wean myself off of Toodledo.

As with many of us here, I really like Toodledo and don’t want to bail on it yet, but we have to be prudent, start looking for acceptable alternatives, and be prepared should something happen to it.
Ummagumma

Posted: Jan 26, 2021
There's two major problems with using spreadsheets to track tasks:

1) They are not optimized for phone screen data entry and review. Sure, it can be done, but it grows really old really fast.

2) They don't have alarms.

#1 is less of a problem with Apple Numbers, where at least the entry sheet can be designed to be more mobile friendly, optimized for small screen with portrait orientation, and touch friendly. But then most people have to interface with Windows / Excel at some point, or use iCloud web access which absolutely sucks. And I don't think that it's easy to design a mobile-friendly task list view with complex sorting and filtering even in Numbers.

#2 afaik can't be easily resolved.
avallons

Posted: Jan 27, 2021
I should've read this forum post. I opened a support (billing related) ticket over 2 weeks ago, and I've been patiently waiting for a response. Unfortunately, no response. This thing is dead! Time to transfer any valuable info to Todoist or something else.
M

Posted: Jan 28, 2021
Posted by Ummagumma:

1) They are not optimized for phone screen data entry and review. Sure, it can be done, but it grows really old really fast.

Excel for ios now has a "card view," but it needs a lot of work and your data has to "fit."
M

Posted by SquidgyFishy:
I love that the second biggest category was "sticking and hoping for a miracle"

Didn't get to answer the poll, but I'm in that category, too.

I kept taking regular backups thinking toodles would fail on me at any point, and in the end I just opened the xml backup in excel, did about 3 hours of formatting and saved it to my onedrive. Voila. I have an app.

I'm with you on this, as well. I've worked with Excel since it came to life (1987? Before that, Lotus 1-2-3), so I know there's longevity in the product. I can get my data in a text file, if I need it. I have my entire "database" of tasks in Excel and some VBA macros (that I cannot, unfortunately, use on my phone) to help me manage the tasks.

I have a process utilizing exports and URLs (as formulas, in my excel file) to move things into and out of the 2Do app, which has a great front end.

It's all a bit kludgy, but at least I know I (probably) will not lose my data.

I'm *so* disappointed in Toodledo. I often wonder if Jake ever looks upon what's happened to it with the same sadness. It was such a great product. Still works, even without active support.
Ummagumma

Posted by M:
Posted by Ummagumma:

Excel for ios now has a "card view," but it needs a lot of work and your data has to "fit."

There's no filtering or sorting from what I can tell, so it's really not very useful on the phone. Data entry, perhaps.

If they made it so that you could sort and filter in the card view, it would be very tempting to just switch to Excel.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4  

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.