ForumsQuestionsStatistics

Statistics
Plyons68

Posted: Aug 20, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I am trying to get a better understanding of how the Statistics view works and searching this forum did not turn up a discussion on this so I am hoping for some conversation on the topic.

In the Statistics view there are several pie charts. what is the time rage that these are based on? Is it all tasks including completed ones?

Is there a way to look at statistics different time frames such as day, week month or year?

This would be extremely useful in understanding the way that I am allocating my efforts. Specifically making the size of folders pie chat dynamic would help one to understand where effort was placed in the past and where it is focused looking forward.

There is an outstanding article, "Do Your Commitments Match Your Convictions?" by Donald N. Sull and Dominic Houlder in the Harvard Business Review, January 2005. The idea in brief is:

"How many of us struggle harder every day to uphold obligations to our bosses, families, and communities—even as the quality of our lives erodes? And how many of us feel too overwhelmed to examine the causes of this dilemma?

For most people, it takes a crisis—illness, divorce, death of a loved one, business failure—before we'll refocus our commitments of money, time, and energy on what really matters to us. But why wait for a crisis? Instead, use a systematic process to periodically clarify your convictions and assess whether you're putting your money (and time and energy) where your mouth is. Identify high-priority values that are receiving insufficient resources—or outdated commitments that are siphoning precious resources away from your deepest convictions.

Once you've spotted gaps between what matters most to you and how you're investing your resources, use a time-out (a sabbatical, course, or retreat) to rethink old commitments and define new ones more consistent with your values.

By routinely applying this process, you—not your past obligations—will determine the direction your life takes."
http://hbr.harvardbusiness.org/2005/01/do-your-commitments-match-your-convictions/ib

I would like to be better able to see if my commitments are matching my convictions using my Toodledo statistics. Thanks for your thoughts and help on this.
Linden

Score: 1 Reference
Hi Paul! From my experience those pie charts are based on all incomplete tasks in your list at the moment you look at the statistics. If you doubled the tasks in one area, that section of the pie chart would grow proportionally the next time you checked it.

Personally, I think line charts or bar charts (like the main one) more useful than pie charts. Because then you can compare ratios over time. It would be great for tracking progress on commitments compared to convictions as described in the quote you shared.

I submitted a suggestion ticket once, requesting that we be able to change the main chart to show new/completed/due-today counts by context or goal instead of folder, as well.

Thanks for drawing attention to this area!
Anders

I don't really use the pie charts at all, but I believe Linden is correct about their function. I like the top graph, but don't really know how I would use the others. The fact that Length is taken into account is the main problem for me since I rarely use that field, and the few areas where I do dominate the charts. I just wanted to mention, if you ever want to make a serious in-depth analysis of your productivity, you could export your completed tasks (or not yet completed, or both) as a CSV file. If you open that file in Excel or another spreadsheet program, you can perform just about any type of statistical analysis you want on your stuff.
Plyons68

Posted: Aug 21, 2009
Thanks Guys. In the end it sounds like a nice but not high priority to have in terms of system flexibility. Dumping it to Excel and building graphs on my own is the current solution. Not fun, but ok.

But hey, an answer that gives me a solution to my question/problem in under 12 hours response time is pretty good in my book. Keep up the good work on a really nice tool.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.