ForumsQuestionsCurrent Reminder Implementation is awkward

Current Reminder Implementation is awkward
Masonfoley

Posted: Aug 20, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
Pro subscriber here. Love the service and love the fact that I can get at my tasks no matter which computer I'm at. This is a well designed system and the dev folks are to be commended for it.

But (there's always a 'but' isn't there?), I really don't understand the implementation of the reminders.

For example, If I need to make a call at 5PM, I have to set the due time to 5:15 and remind myself 15 minutes prior because for me, I really don't need any "lead time". Just stop what I'm doing and make the call. I think that is a valid use case scenario and would argue this happens more often than the implementation of reminders in ToodleDo suggests. This "extra calculation" I consider to be awkward. Why wouldn't I be able to set a reminder at the same time that the task is due? That program on TV you want to watch is starting at 8:00. Again, I would need to set the due time to 8:15 with a 15 minute lead reminder to remind me at 8:00.

Am I missing something?

Edit: Further digging on this issue in these forums it appears this has been discussed quite a bit. I would like to add to the list of people who would like a stand-alone reminder. I did see a post from spring of 2008 that indicated there were to be major changes to reminders. Is what I'm seeing now in the app the implementation hinted at here? (See comment from ToodleDo: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/2639/-13784/stand-alone-reminders.html)

I think a big impact fix could be to have 0, 5 and 10 minutes for "lead time" reminders would be nice.

Keep up the great work.

Cheers,
MWF
Anders

Posted: Aug 20, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Yes, there have been a number of requests for no leadtime reminders. Reminders in general just went through a major overhaul, and I love the new system (used to be all or nothing, if a task had a Due Date you got a reminder). I really don't think I'd use 0 lead time, but I believe Toodledo is trying to figure something out. The problem, as I understand it, is that reminder times are give or take a few minutes, so a reminder set for exactly the Due Time could arrive late.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 21, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Apple does not guarantee timely delivery of push notifications. They don't even guarantee delivery at all. The vast majority of reminders arrive on the iphone within 0-3 minutes, but sometimes we have seen them take up to 10, which is why we don't currently allow reminders sooner than 15 minutes.

Granted, that people can use reminders without the iphone, by getting SMS or email reminders. There are delays in theses systems as well that would make a 0 minute reminder sometimes arrive late.

We are considering other options. We might give a 0 or 5 minute reminder option with a warning that it may show up late for reasons beyond our control.
gpzbc

Posted: Sep 11, 2009
Score: 1 Reference
I love reminders, but I would like a reminder at the due time for many of my tasks - not 15 minutes out. However, some of my tasks need more lead time. So I guess I would prefer the option for both.

Thank you!

This message was edited Sep 11, 2009.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.