ForumsQuestionsNew Android app - idiotic landscape view + auto-save + others

New Android app - idiotic landscape view + auto-save + others
SteveFamilyMan_2

Posted: Feb 17, 2023
Score: 0 Reference
I have been using the Android version of the beta Toodledo app. Overall it's pretty good. I like that it's always live and syncing. The old app didn't sync consistently or reliably so I had to create a habit of going up into the menu options and telling it to sync.

I can't understand why when I turn the phone sideways to landscape mode so I can see much more of the text in my longer task entries, the app automatically expands the settings panel on the left side, and it shortens the width of the task view on the right side so that there's barely more of the task description showing than there was in portrait orientation, and there's no way for me to hide the settings panel again. WHAT???? That makes no sense at all. If someone turns their phone sideways to landscape view, why would you interpret that to mean "I want to see the settings panel"??? Obviously if someone rotates their phone to landscape it's because they're trying to SEE SOMETHING in that view that they couldn't see in portrait view. GIVE US THE WHOLE SCREEN and don't make decisions for us (especially when we can't hide the stupid thing you're shoving in our face).

I can't understand why you went away from auto-save for new tasks, but you kept auto-save for modifying existing tasks. Ok, so in the old app, if you created a new task, type some stuff, and then back out of it with the "back" button on Android phones (not sure which equivalent button on iPhones), the task you started populating will automatically save. In the new app, you MUST press the up arrow to save your new task, and if you forget to press that and hit the back button, you're out of luck...your new task is gone. And worse yet, there's no dialogue telling you your new task was just flushed down the toilet, so in a hurry (which we always are) we might think we just created a new task when in fact that task is no where. And if there was critical information in there like someone's phone number, address, document name, web link, or something else only recorded there, now we're REALLY S.O.L.! C'mon guys, why did you take away auto-save??

And to make matters worse, you don't even manage the apps consistently in regards to saving. When editing/modifying an existing app, I dutifully look for the up arrow to MAKE SURE I save my changes. But guess what? No up arrow. The only way to save those task changes is to simply back out of the task and it...(wait for it)...AUTOSAVES the changes. WHAT???? Guys, do you not see how confusing that is, and how you're simply creating the high likelihood of someone doing things wrong? I can't imagine why you would require a save button instead of just autosaving when we back out of a new tasks, but if you ARE going to dig in your heels and continue requiring the up arrow save button for new tasks, then do the SAME THING for modifying existing tasks. Don't teach us one behavior for new tasks and then restrict us to a different behavior for modifying tasks...ESPECIALLY when that second behavior is catastrophic to the first situation!!

Further, I have to ask...why did you get rid of the SUPER handy shortcuts when editing the Due Date? Used to be we could instantly tap on Today, Yesterday, Tomorrow, or any one of the days in the upcoming week, or 1 month from now, or 1 year from now. I used those ALL THE TIME. Now my only option today, tomorrow, and "next Monday". That's weird. Why "next Monday"? Anyway, now if I want any date besides those I have to to into the calendar, think more (i know...the horror of it!), and take more time to figure out which date makes the most sense to me or which date I had in mind. With the multitude of quick links it was tap-tap done.

I guess the last thing to mention is that the new app is much slower than the old app. It's not "end of the world" slow, but it is definitely a lot slower. Not cool.

Ok, that's all I've got for now.
Please take these REAL LIFE observations and recommendations into serious consideration.

Thanks!
-Steve
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.