ForumsQuestionsTasks created on iPhone not Syncing?

Tasks created on iPhone not Syncing?
Eric.Montgomery

Posted: Aug 24, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I've run into this issue twice in the past day and can't seem to find a way around it. I'll create a task in Toodledo on my iPhone, but it never syncs back to the website. Inevitably I have to delete the task from my iPhone and recreate it either in Outlook or on the website so that it copies out to my iPhone.

Has anyone else run into this? Is there a fix for it?
krellan

I haven't had that bug, but have had something similar: if I create a task on the iPhone, or check off a task, or do anything in general that edits the state of the tasks on the iPhone, then sometimes the task list gets truncated.

Instead of seeing my normal 200-or-so tasks, I'll only see about 3 of them or so.

Kind of scary!

However, if I sync several times manually (hitting the "Sync" button), perhaps create a dummy task then check it off, all my tasks will eventually come back.

I don't like this bug, and wish that the application would be more careful with my data. I haven't lost data yet, but feel that I have came dangerously close.

One thing I've learned: DO NOT interrupt the ToodleDo iPhone application while the little blue bar is on the bottom of the screen! This means that it is in the progress of syncing. Let it complete its sync, before exiting the app. I've found that the bug often happens if I exit the app too early, before it has had a chance to finish syncing.
Anders

I have not heard of either of these bugs. The second one sounds like it could be a low memory issue with the device. Does it happen after rebooting the iPhone? Anyway, I'm sure Toodledo will look into it.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Aug 25, 2009
Yes, if the app is syncing it is wise to let it complete before quitting the app. If you cancel a sync, there is a slight chance on slower network connections that you could get a duplicate task the next time you sync, but you will never lose information.

I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean when you say that your list gets truncated suddenly. If you could create a support ticket and attach screenshots of before/after that would be very helpful for us to find and fix the bug.

Thanks
Eric.Montgomery

Posted: Sep 08, 2009
Still seem to be running into this. If I update or modify a task on my iPhone it syncs fine, but if I *create* a task on my iPhone it never syncs. Really odd, and rather annoying.

This message was edited Sep 08, 2009.
Anders

When you create a new task, and then edit the details, make sure you back out of the details screen before closing the app. That is when the autosync happens (after backing out of task details).
Eric.Montgomery

Already tried that. It doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I've even turned off all of the auto-syncing and done a sync after adding a task and backing out of it.
Anders

I am not aware of any bug like that with the iPhone app. The official one that is. I have read some complaints about Todo doing that. Is it possible that the Outlook sync is overriding these changes? IOW, if you disable it, does this still happen?
Eric.Montgomery

This appears to be isolated only to the iPhone app. Tasks created in the iPhone app never make it to the website so there's nothing for the PC app to overwrite. It's really odd because I can edit existing tasks with no problem. I just can't create tasks on the iPhone and expect to seem them sync'd to the website and then to Outlook.
Anders

That is really weird. If you look at recently added tasks, or recently deleted (in your Account Settings), do you see anything there?
The only other thing I can think of, and this is a longshot, would be if you have some new task default set in the app that is filtering it on the site (like -1 Priority, or a Deferred Status), but I would imagine you have already checked with filters off.
One thing you could always try (like smacking a TV set to fix the picture) would be deleting and reinstalling the app. That would of course cause you to lose any tasks that are not on the website. You might also just try disabling the Outlook sync to rule that out.
Eric.Montgomery

I checked the recently added and there's no sign of the tasks that were created on the iPhone. I'll try deleting and reinstalling tonight and let you know what I come up with. This is a fairly recent occurrence so I *KNOW* it's my fault. I just don't know what I did to cause it.
Anders

One other thing that would be interesting to know is whether this is happening with sync on edit, or sync on opening the app, and if it happens with only one of those sync options, or both.
Eric.Montgomery

When this all started I had both Sync on edit and sync on start enabled. I've since turned off all automatic syncing (manual sync only) and get the same results. New tasks not pushed to site. This is also the same when only one of the sync options is available.
Eric.Montgomery

Alrighty then. I reinstalled the Toodledo app and it appears to be working correctly now. I can once again create tasks on the iPhone and have them populate out to the site and back down to Outlook. Yay!
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Sep 10, 2009
You must have gotten a bad install. Sometimes this happens, for unknown reasons. Deleting and reinstalling was a good decision.
kitty

Posted: Oct 13, 2009
I installed the Toodledo app for the first time this week. After the initial install, I noticed there were a few tasks missing from the iPhone.

Since then I have reinstalled the iPhone app multiple times now, and I cannot get all my tasks to download to the iPhone. I have tried both the standard sync and the "Force Toodledo to iPhone sync". When I do the sync, it goes through the entire sync process, and the bar gets to the end of the screen. But then it pops up error #1010 (Cannot connect to Toodledo).

I then go into my All Tasks and check that the filter is set to show all tasks. It shows all my completed tasks, but only a fraction of my to-do tasks. As of today, Toodledo is not downloading any of the subtasks, overdue tasks, or recently added tasks to the iPhone. The number of downloaded tasks seems to vary each time, and subsequent syncs never correct the situation.

What do I do next? Resyncing, refiltering, and reinstalling aren't resolving this. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Anders

The only advice I can give you is to try using wifi instead of your cell network, or vice-versa depending on what you have been trying, and maybe reboot your phone before syncing just to make sure your RAM is clear. It sounds like a network issue, but it is really an unusual problem. You should start a support ticket with Toodledo if you have not done so already.
kitty

Thanks Anders! I did try the reboot again but it was a no go.

The iPhone is being used without a SIM card/carrier--it only uses wi-fi. This shouldn't be an issue, though; there aren't ever any problems with my other applications that sync. I'll send a support ticket.
davek

Posted: Oct 14, 2009
I've been seeing a similar thing for the past week or so. Many of my tasks are not making it to the iPod touch. Tried clearing database, reinstalling, playing around with filters etc. No avail.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Oct 14, 2009
Please create a support ticket so that we can investigate your personal situation.

We did find a bug (already fixed in our development builds) that will cause a sync to not complete if you have a task assigned to an archived goal, so you might want to check that, although this won't affect very many people.

Otherwise, we haven't noticed anything ourselves, so we would need to look into your particular situation to see if we can figure it out.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.