ForumsQuestionsFor iPhone/itouch: Appigo Todo or Toodledo app?

For iPhone/itouch: Appigo Todo or Toodledo app?
yony120

Posted: Sep 05, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Hi,

I'm fairly sure I'll buy the 3rd generation iPod touch that, hopefully, will be released very soon (rumor says September 9th).

However, I'm not sure whether I should buy Appigo Todo or the official Toodledo app.

ToDo looks more professional and clean, but I'm not sure if it supports all of Toodledo's features.

Anyone here with experience using both or one of these?

Thanks in advance.
Claudio

Score: 1 Reference
Anders

Check this thread: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/3025/0/todo-app-vs-toodledo-app-iphone.html
Also, keep in mind there are several other apps as well that sync with Toodledo. Although only LifeFocus has subtasks like Toodledo and Todo. You could also read around the forums a bit, especially the Third Party Applications forum, for more info.

Edit: Claudio, how did you beat me? I guess I wrote too much :)

This message was edited Sep 05, 2009.
yony120

Posted: Sep 07, 2009
If I manually sort my tasks on the ToDo app, will they be re-sorted on the Toodledo Web app identically after syncing?

Also, if ToDo doesn't support Status (which I absolutely need), then I'll have to start using Stars.

Edit: Oh. ToDo doesn't support Stars, too. I'll go with Toodledo, then.

This message was edited Sep 07, 2009.
Anders

The manual sorting done in the Todo app has no effect on how your tasks appear on the Toodledo website. It is only remembered internally by Todo. Todo does not support Status. Unfortunately, it also does not support Stars. I really don't know how people can call it a GTD app. The best method, if you are set on using Todo, is to use the Tag field for things like Status. Tags are pretty well done in Todo, and of course they can work for just about anything.
yony120

I'm currently using Tags for Energy Available (from the GTD methodology), but I don't actually use it. I mean, I always add the Low, Medium or High in the Tags field, but I don't check them.

I really need to see a video (or photos) of Toodledo accessed on Appigo ToDo before I can decide, and Appigo only published a set-up guide (about syncing) for Toodledo.
Anders

Appigo makes a free, limited version of their app called Todo Lite. That would give you a feel of how it will work.
yony120

Good idea.

Another thing to note is that my tasks usually have long names, so ToDo could be useful here.
phil

I have not been able to get Appigo's ToDo app's push to work. It won't update my badge number without me starting the app and shutting it down to get it to update. Won't put the number of apps due today on the badge by itself. So there's a plus for Toodledo. HOWEVER!!! Toodledo has an almost equally irritating bug: I get a ghost '1' on the app badge every few hours, which, according to my settings means I have a to do item due today. I open the app and there's nothing due today. When I close the app, the '1' goes away. I have reported this problem to Toodledo twice, and it's ignored. So it turns out that Toodledo's support is no better than Appigo's. Why is it so hard to make push work correctly? Is it just a general lack of intelligence among the developers? It just doesn't seem like this is rocket science, but none of them can get it right, not even RTM.
phil

Edit: Lack of functional push with ToDo from Appigo is not a bug, it hasn't been implemented.
Anders

The issue with your badge updating with a "1" in the Toodledo app is likely not a bug. What happens is that the badge updates come from Toodledo's servers via Apple's push network. This is the only way it can be done since Apple does not allow third party apps to run in the background. Since the badge updates come from a server (which cannot know your in-app filter settings), they are sent completely unfiltered. The badge you see when you close the app will show the number with any filters you have on in the app applied to it. I would wager, if you see a "1" appear on the badge, when you open the app, go to your task list, and turn off all filters, you will see a task that matches your badge criteria.

Also, Todo has implemented Push. It just doesn't work very well yet.
Edit: I just realized you were referring to badge updates only. You are correct that Appigo does not do them. They only do Push reminders.

This message was edited Sep 07, 2009.
Thomas

Posted: Sep 08, 2009
When I started using Toodledo, I used Appigo's Todo to synchronize my iPod touch. Then, Appigo released Todo 2.0 and finally supported subtasks.

Unfortunately, Todo doesn't respect the folder structure that I use in Toodledo. I have several folders, and subtasks can be in a different folder than their parent. Todo supports subtasks, but doesn't allow subtasks to have different folders than their parent. So, when I synchronize Toodledo and Todo, my folder structure is messed up since Todo changes the folder of each subtask to the folder of their parent!

I've mailed to Appigo, but all they say that my issue is added to their bug tracker. But 6 months, about 10 mails, and two releases later, nothing is fixed.

Therefore, I strongly suggest to use the Toodledo application if you have subtasks that are in a different folder than their parent. The one thing I miss in the Toodledo application is a general sync button that can be used any time, not having to go deep into a specific menu.

This message was edited Sep 08, 2009.
Proximo

Posted: Sep 08, 2009
I appreciate everyone's feedback. It seems that Toodledo is probably my best choice here.

Toodledo will never be a native GTD System, so I guess I should never expect the iPhone app. or the Toodledo site to be focused on how GTD does things.

Thanks for all the replies and information.
yony120

Posted: Sep 10, 2009
thomasvnoort, I don't use subtasks in different folders. Since I've started the Toodledo Pro Trial, I've stopped using them. I truly hate folders, because they require you to go to a different, settings page to make them, and then you need to browse to that folder, and only then create your task.

I'm waiting for the 3rd generation iPod touch to arrive here in Israel.

Anyway, I need these features, but none of the apps combine them all:

Sort tasks manually
Show tasks by status
Filter tasks by status and context at the same time
Subtasks

Damn. When will Toodledo (both the web and iPhone apps) support manual tasks sorting?
I don't wanna add numbers to tasks and then sort them alphabetically. That's non-productive.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.