ForumsQuestionsUm..Yes you do NEED Projects...

Um..Yes you do NEED Projects...
Neutronmike

Posted: Sep 07, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I just made the heartbreaking and confused observation
that Toodledo.com doesn't even mention the crucially root-of-all-GTD-->> PROJECTS.
Hello???? What ??

I know there are workarounds (I just read a post here that says:
"Personally, I like that there is no option for projects because..."

To me that's not really even funny lol.

A Project is at the ROOT of everything a person does.
Any undertaking which requires more than one Action *is* a PROJECT.

I'm probably signing up for PRO account anyway, but..guys and girls...
are you kidding?lol.

I mean, try this in Toodledo.com right now for kicks:

**Weekend trip to Aunt Mary's house**
This trip will involve:
• a phone call,
• packing stuff (stuff that i hope to list).
• printing a map.
But wait a minute... this whole planning process died ^**Up There**

Under what umbrella is a person supposed to list these 3 actions ?
**Weekend Trip to Aunt Mary's House** is a... that's right: it's a ...PROJECT.
There are 2 or 3 Contexts in that PROJECT.

When you look over the To-Do List here, no wonder it's a huge slew of scattered
Actions... They can't be viewed by project. Kinda makes everything in the whole
list fall apart, doesn't it ?
DANG!

I know that "repeating projects" are the "hell hole" facing GTD system developers right now
for reasons we don't need to get into here.

I feel like somebody just told me: "You can have this Ferrari,
and there are no bolts used in the car. It's just all the parts
sitting there organized on the ground, sorted by Where they are(Context),
and you can sort them by When they were made (due date).
But you can't put the pieces together.

Is this very necessary addition, the PROJECT coming to toodledo.com ??
Please post responses.
Please write back asap.

Miike

This message was edited Sep 07, 2009.
Anders

Posted: Sep 07, 2009
There are a variety of ways to implement projects. Many people use Folders, and a lot of Pros use parent tasks with subtasks as projects. You would be surprised what is possible once you let go of needing the name "project" and consider instead what the term means to you and how you can best implement that with Toodledo's many optional fields. I would suggest you do some more reading in the Tips and Tricks and GTD forums.
Vin Thomas

Posted: Sep 08, 2009
I agree. I thought that Projects would be the clincher for me, but once I upgraded to pro and got subtasks, there really wasn't a need. Parent tasks can be projects and can carry tasks with many different contexts, due dates, statuses, etc.
DaveMB

Hello Neutronmike, for me I would create a folder marked projects, them to follow your example the project would be **Weekend trip to Aunt Mary's house**. Then I would start creating subtasks for phone call, packing, printing the map etc. The subtasks then let me see all of the actions or steps required to complete the project.
Alan

I agree with the idea of using parent-tasks as the "project" name, and then using sub-tasks as the action items. In GTD, you don't need much functionality anyway, since you are really not supposed to attach due-dates to action items. You wouldn't even need nested sub-tasks since the very concept of having to nest a task underneath another sub-task implies that the action item then become a project on its own.

As others have posted here, I don't see why Toodledo wouldn't work for GTD.
Proximo

I think many are missing the point here. Neutronmike already mentioned that he understands there are workarounds.

Let's get back to the point of the post.

There is no Project control in Toodledo. This is a true statement.

There should be supported Projects. When you add a new task from anywhere in the system, there should be a Project pull down list.

A Project should have the ability to list task in the correct order and not use an Alphabetical hack to make it work.

You should be able to open any task and move it to any Project with a simply Project list inside the task.

Projects should have their own dedicated section.

This has always been an issue with Toodledo and many users agree that Projects need to be implemented in Toodledo.

We all understand there are "Workarounds" but when comparing Toodledo to many other services, it's simply missing Project support.

From my understanding, Toodledo acknowledge this already and said they will be supporting them in the future. This is one of several improvements that I am waiting on and the only reason I stuck around this long.

I hope this is still the case.

When a statement like this is made, it seems everyone is quick to jump to a Workaround. There is nothing wrong with mentioning the Workarounds and help the individual find one that may work for them, but this post was very clear in stating that Workarounds are understood.

It's a post about a missing element of Toodledo.

So my official answer to this post follows.

@Neutronmike,

Yes, you are correct in that Toodledo does not support Projects. I believe they are working on this but we have no idea on when the updates will happen.

Since you stated that you understand there are Workarounds, I will not offer any for you. If you would like to get some feedback on Workarounds, just ask us to share and we will be more than happy.

For now, we will have to wait and see what happens.

This message was edited Sep 08, 2009.
Anders

Proximo, I just have to point out that aside from manual reordering of tasks, Folders meet all your criteria for what a project should be. I too would love to see a "project" field, but I disagree that current methods are hacks or workarounds. Even if "projects" were to be added today, they would likely be identical to Folders in every way. It sounds like what you really want is manual reordering.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.