ForumsQuestionsCan I track my lost Ipod with Toodledo? (still synching)

Can I track my lost Ipod with Toodledo? (still synching)
j__f__c__

Posted: Sep 09, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Hi,

I lost my Ipod in a cinema a few months back. After trying to find it by various means, I gave up.

Some folders that I tried to delete for weeks keep coming back. Then it hit me. Its my former Ipod synching.

Can someone think of a way I could use the info coming in from the Ipod (Ip adress?) to track my Ipod?

What would be the procedure?

I'm no computer whiz. Hope somebody else is.

Jf
Alan

Have you contacted your cell provider and asked them if it's possible? Someone is obviously paying a cell bill on that iPhone. They can no doubt track it by its serial number?
Proximo

Alan has a point.

I wonder if they can track your original purchase of the Toodledo app. on their store and link it to the individual paying for service.

That's assuming they are paying for service.

Not sure what they could do but you never know until you ask.

This is where the Mobile Me service is great, but I think it's too pricey and I am a Windows user. Don't think the service works for Windows.

Good Luck
Claudio

Score: 1 Reference
It seems that it's an iPod not an iPhone so there's no cell service but there's activity through a WiFi connection.

Have you checked out the sync activity at http://www.toodledo.com/activity.php ?

This message was edited Sep 09, 2009.
Anders

Good call Claudio, the IP should show up right there.
Glen

wow, awesome. i didn't know you can track IP like that. this is kind of exciting. keep us posted, j_f_c!
j__f__c__

(insert IP adress here) Third-Party App Access Sep 09, 2009 5:29 am

Thats what I got! Heeheehee.

Ok.

Now what should I do with this IP address? Find the Internet connexion provider somehow?

Thanks for your help.

Jf
Anders

You can try this (skip to step 2): http://www.wikihow.com/Trace-an-IP-Address
It looks like that may be the best you can do.
j__f__c__

Thanks

My only real problem now is: do I enter the next action in Toodledo? The bastid might know what I'm up to.
Anders

LOL, good point. Maybe you should enter a next action like "Call on the forces of darkness for iPod retribution", or something like that. :)
I suppose that might be uncalled for though. It might be possible that the person was trying to find contact information to return it (alright probably not). Still, it's weird that the person would be opening Toodledo on a hot iPod.

FYI, you could cut off the sync if you want to. I think either changing your login email or password should work.

This message was edited Sep 09, 2009.
Proximo

Posted: Sep 10, 2009
This is some great detective work guys. How cool of a story this would be if we find the person and bring them to JUSTICE.

"I AM THE LAW"
Vin Thomas

If you want to read a great story about how a community got behind a victim of a thief, check out this story: http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/index.html

Let's see what we can pull off with this...
j__f__c__

The thing is I lost my Ipod. I don't think its a crime to find and keep something. Except from hanging threats signs in the neigborhood the IP address pinpoints -

- You found my Ipod last June, you better give it back before I find you. -

Jf
Jake

Toodledo Founder
If you want to disconnect the syncing to your lost iPod, you can go into your account settings and change your unique id.

The only reason why it would continue to sync is if the person who found it is continuing to run Toodledo on the iPhone, which would be very strange. You might try appealing to their kindness and create a top priority task called "Please return my lost iPod to this address...". You could send an email to yourself with the same thing and hope the person reads it. Maybe offer a reward. Good luck :)
j__f__c__

Posted: Sep 11, 2009
Oh, you're right.

I did'nt remember Toodledo syncs upon booting.

I tried the email-to-self trick, but it did not yield results.

Well, I'll stop by the Apple store on my way back from work.

Thanks for your help

Jf
Linden

Posted: Sep 11, 2009
Hey JF,

I posted this to the other thread under "tips & tricks", but since this is the live copy I'll repost it here to prevent fragmenting the discussion again.

----------------
It might be worth contacting your local police department and running the idea past them.

They are likely to be more familiar with tracking options available, and may be willing to work with you in getting the info you need to hunt down the iPod.

In particular, since you've got the IP, they may have the authority to contact the ISP it belongs to and track the customer.

Best of luck!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.