ForumsQuestionsFlattened/Hidden/Indented

Flattened/Hidden/Indented
sblaai

Posted: Sep 15, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
While the flattened/hidden/indented configurations for subtasks are an interesting development, I have been unable to make them do what I truly need and perhaps I am missing something. So help requested.

Appigo's ToDo iPhone app (used with Toodledo) seems to accomplish what I am looking for adequately. This feature would be very helpful in the main Toodledo window.

I want to see all tasks that are either due themselves, or have one or more subtasks due, as a list of tasks (not including subtasks) that may or may not be due themselves. In other words you end up with a list of task areas that need attention and can then click on a specific task to get more detail.

Is there a way to accomplish this in Toodledo as it stands?
Anders

Posted: Sep 15, 2009
No, not exactly. This is something that people have been asking for recently, and I'm interested to see if Toodledo will come up with some way of making this happen. See this thread for more on that: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/3127/0/flattened-vs-indented.html

The way to do this with Toodledo (and I realize this is not exactly what you are looking for) is to view your tasks flattened. If you want more information on a subtask that shows up in the view, you can click its parent task icon to show its parent task, and you can do the same to reveal subtasks. Basically if you want to see everything by its Due Date, then you can't have subtasks hidden or indented unless you always give the parent task the Due Date of its subtask with the nearest Due Date.
sblaai

Posted: Sep 17, 2009
Thanks for the response ... saved me time trying to make Toodledo something it cannot.

One of the difficulties in discussing the subtleties of the database configurations is that words don't readily translate into the experience of using.

Accordingly I strongly advocate review of Appigo's ToDo iPhone app. When synchronized with Toodledo it accomplishes exactly what I am looking for in presentation of tasks including due subtasks. The difference in using this interface over the existing Toodledo interfaces is like night and day for me, and would catapult Toodledo into the category of 'having solved the problem', rather than being just the best available.
Anders

Posted: Sep 17, 2009
I agree with you on this one point as you can see by the suggestion I made in the thread I linked in my previous post. However, in general, I find Todo lacking. They do subtasks so well that I keep wanting to be able to use the app, but I just can't figure out how to do it without Status, Stars, filtering of deferred and future tasks, or any decent sorting options. I guess that is what makes creating these types of applications so difficult. Everyone is very particular about what they want, but rarely do any two people agree on a majority of features. Anyway, yes Todo does subtasks really well (although I still would like to flatten them sometimes since they are still hidden from the main list). Todo also does Tags really well. That is lately becoming my biggest desire with Toodledo, improved Tag management and filtering.
sblaai

Posted: Sep 18, 2009
As it becomes more apparent that the virtual world is a map of the human mind, it is apparent why Apple's attempt with iCal, and many other efforts have fallen so far short in the area of goal setting and accomplishment. By adopting a strategy of maximum flexibility Toodledo allows user-driven discoveries to emerge and be incorporated much like an enterprise-driven free market in the real world.

I am not familiar with the technical limitations of the Toodledo database (although I have some awareness of the complexity having been on the cutting edge waiting for years for Filemaker to become fully relational) and it may be that there are tradeoffs to be made between features limiting the ability of Toodledo to adopt the subtask presentation of Appigo's ToDo iPhone app, but other things being equal in these arenas I would simply point out that the ToDo app has got this very small area of the overall problem right, and it is in everyone's interest to recognize it and build on it.

I have both the Toodledo app and the ToDo app on my iPhone and use both. At present ToDo is winning hands down because of the task presentation. In fact I am using it in preference to the desktop Toodledo for day-to-day operation.

To the extent that I am able to encourage Toodledo to divert resources to nail this small but vital area, I am obviously trying to do that. I agree with what you say regarding ToDo otherwise including the flattening option, and I think there is an opportunity for Toodledo to consolidate it's advantages big time!

Please put in a good word for this task presentation option to those who are in a position to make these decisions.
Anders

Posted: Sep 18, 2009
This has been a hot topic around here lately, and I'm sure Toodledo has noticed that. All the people who want this are necessarily Pros as well, so I think it is a safe bet that Toodledo will give the idea serious consideration.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.