ForumsQuestionsToodledo for ADD

Toodledo for ADD
hirshleff

Posted: Sep 17, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I have ADD and love Toodledo but it has the same problem that all other task managers do: They are designed for mentally healthy people. No matter what you do you end up staring at a task list and folks with ADD have difficulty picking one item to do out of a group.

I have worked my way around this by exporting open tasks to Excel every day and deleting all but the current tasks based on the Start Date. Then I copy the task names and paste them into a site that randomizes lists (http://www.random.org/lists/). If I could work on lists from the top priority down I wouldn't have ADD!!!

Then I copy the randomized list and plug it into the greatest web site ever: nowdothis.com. This site is a must visit. The beautiful thing it does is to give me my tasks one at a time without being able to see how long this list is. This is perfect for the ADD mind.

I wish Toodledo would add a button that simply picked one current task at random and only displayed that single task. I could easily work my way through my list with this button. I have searched for years for something that could simply tell me what to do next without my having to make a decision. As long as I am knocking things off of my list, I don't care if it is the most or least important thing to do that day.
mattsez

I feel for you, I have ADD, as well. The problem (and nice thing) about Toodledo, is that it is a rather open system that allows for customization (to a point). Sometimes, you get overwhelmed by options on how to use Toodledo, instead of focusing on what your actual organizational work flow should be, first. Once you figure this out, determine how Toodledo can provide you what you need.

I'm really not sure why you want to do tasks at random, without any considerations on what tasks to focus on first. It doesn't have to be based on "Priority", in fact, you may want to look into the GTD (Getting Things Done) methodology. I think you might appreciate the "Next Action" concept. I'm not too big on GTD, though, but it might just be the thing for you. I'm still trying to iron out my own personal method, but I wouldn't mind brainstorming something with you.

The point is, you need some way (any way) to determine what you need to work on, whether it is a couple of simple rules or a more in-depth framework. If just using Excel and selecting tasks at random has been working for you, then more power to you. Is there a reason why you want to use Toodledo over your present method?

Either way remember to use the (View By) Search functionality, save important searches, and use the "Multi-Edit" function to get changes to tasks done quick. You don't have to stare at a long list of tasks, or constantly revise priorities and such, in order to use Toodledo. However, you need some sort of organizational preference. Once again, if you want to work through your preferred organizational method on the forums, I know I and many others would love to help.
mattsez

I may or may not have understood you correctly, but either way, I wasn't trying to criticize your organization method.

What fields do you use? Depending on what you are actively using, you might want to use the Scheduler functionality of Toodledo. While it works much better if you use the Length field, it can still get you something close to what you are looking for (I think).

Take a look at it, and let me know your thoughts.
hirshleff

No worries.

The schedule function is great but it still gives you a list which is the problem in the first place. If I ask for two hours of tasks then it may give me six items in a list and I still need to choose which to do first.
hirshleff

I just tried the Multi Edit function. This works great! Thanks for the tip. I will put that into my daily routine.
Karuna

Hi hirshleff and friends,

I feel overwhelmed by long lists that come up when i open toodledo. I am working on setting it up in a way that helps me with this problem. I have been playing with a method offered by Proximo in the "Getting things Done" section of the forums.

All the flexibility in toodledo can be overwhelming for me too. But I am finding it is worth taking a little time to work it out. And I love that mattsez and others like him are willing to give help.

It is taking some time to work this out. I haven't learned how to use some of the search functionality that mattsez mentions yet, but I'm gettign there.

And, hirshleff, I like the schedule function too. And I don't like it when it gives me a list. So I just ask it for 15 minutes of tasks or something like that, over and over. and that's kind of fun cuz then it gives me just one or two and my obedient inner child may or may not "just do it."

Good luck with life! :)
Karuna
Linden

Posted: Sep 18, 2009
Hi Hirshleff,

While I don't have ADD, I do sometimes use the scheduler when my concentration is low and I can't decide on my own what to do.

Since you (I) don't care which order they are done in, the trick is to treat it like an ordered list. Just start with the one listed first. When it's done, do the next one (or re-run the scheduler).

Doing this helps me buckle down and do what's needed when my brain has other ideas.

I hope this idea helps you, too.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.