ForumsQuestionsSaved Search and Subtasks

Saved Search and Subtasks
replytoken

Posted: Sep 18, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I have a saved search that I use which, among other criteria, is supposed to return items that are starred. I have a subtask item that is starred, but its parent is not. I was assuming that the subtask would appear in the search results, but it is not. Any suggestions as to what is happening and how I can correct it?

--Ken
jquark

I have the same problem. The subtasks will appear if you mark "flattened" on your filters. I, however, love the new "indented" view and would love to see a way for subtasks to be shown automatically in searches. Anyone have a workaround?
replytoken

Thanks for the suggestion. It worked. I normally have my views of subtasks "Indented", but for the search I set up, it makes sense to flatten it.

--Ken
jquark

No problem but I am actually hopeful that there is a better work around than that. I like the "indented" view as well and don't want to have to change my filters all the time. I, too, use saved searches for next actions etc. Anybody know if we are missing something?
replytoken

I believe that the settings belong with each view and are not global, but I am not certain if each search is considered a different view since they are on the same "tab".

--Ken
Anders

Posted by jquark:
No problem but I am actually hopeful that there is a better work around than that. I like the "indented" view as well and don't want to have to change my filters all the time. I, too, use saved searches for next actions etc. Anybody know if we are missing something?

There is not a perfect workaround. If you describe the particular search, I can see if there are any tricks you could use there, but it isn't always possible. With Stars, I don't mind just Starring parents when a subtask is Starred and I want to use Indented, but it is trickier with other fields (especially dates). What do you think of my suggestion posted here?: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/3127/-16599/flattened-vs-indented.html
jquark

Posted by Anders:
Posted by jquark:

There is not a perfect workaround. If you describe the particular search, I can see if there are any tricks you could use there, but it isn't always possible. With Stars, I don't mind just Starring parents when a subtask is Starred and I want to use Indented, but it is trickier with other fields (especially dates). What do you think of my suggestion posted here?: http://www.toodledo.com/forums/2/3127/-16599/flattened-vs-indented.html

Great idea on the link. I really hope toodledo implements this. In the mean time I will try your suggestion of starred parent tasks if the subtask is starred. Thanks!
Anders

Posted by replytoken:
I believe that the settings belong with each view and are not global, but I am not certain if each search is considered a different view since they are on the same "tab".

--Ken

To clarify, these are the "Views":

Main | Folder | Context | Goal | Due-Date | Priority | Tag | Status | Sharing | Search

Each view can have its own settings for Filters, Sort, and the display options on the bottom toolbar (including subtask display method). Tabs in a View can't have their own settings. All saved searches are tabs in the Search view, so they all share the same settings for these things. It would be nice if these settings were saved per search, but I feel that way about Main view too (more for the sorting in that case).
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.