ForumsQuestionsFeatures I Would Like To See

Features I Would Like To See
dustinmclaughlin

Posted: Jul 06, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
So I've been playing around with Toodledo for a little while now, and it is an amazing concept, but I feel it can be improved in many areas. First of all, I don't feel like the system (the way it is layed out) is very fluent for users. I think that being able to flow is a very important characteristic for many users, including myself.

On your 'To-Do List' page, I would like to see a text box (or input field) where you can simply type something out real quick and hit enter. I think that would work for a lot of tasks that won't go in much depth, such as Buy Jump Rope or something. You wouldn't need a due date and what not for that.

I would also like to be able to customize the navigation menu on the left. I would love to be able to take out the items I don't use such as 'History' or 'Booklet', thus simplifying my navigating experience at Toodledo.

I also think it would be much more simple if you kept the tasks at one line instead of being able to 'extend' them to input details. You could make an icon for date, repeat, note, etc. and simply place them on the line and when clicked they could open up a little box similar to the ones that already open when you click 'Repeat.'

Overall, I think Toodledo has a lot of potential but it needs to be a simplified process and become more fluid for the average user.

P.S. Subtasks would be a nice addition as well.

i.e.

Build Computer
- Buy Motherboard
- Buy 2 Gigs of RAM
- Shop for New HardDrive

*I understand this concept could easily be mimicked by the folder feature, but again, I must reiterate the importance of the ability to flow. It would be much more convenient to simply have subtasks.

This message was edited Jul 06, 2008.
ag.todolist

Dustin,

There is a subtask feature. Although it does not work exactly how you would imagine a subtask to work, it does the trick!

http://www.toodledo.com/info/subtasks.php

SGL

This message was edited Jul 06, 2008.
dustinmclaughlin

Posted by ag.todolist:
Dustin,

There is a subtask feature. Although it does not work exactly how you would imagine a subtask to work, it does the trick!

http://www.toodledo.com/info/subtasks.php

SGL

Cool. so what about the other stuff?
J-Mac

Posted: Jul 07, 2008
Toodledo has about the best flow I have seen. You haven't tried it yet it seems or you would see this. The Add Task button at the top is where a "test box" quickly opens, and if you click on "Add Multiple Tasks" you can add as many as you like as fast as you can type.

Subtask already exists.

The UI changes you mention - the Toodledo interface has developed to what it is after many user requests and much thoughtful development. There IS a one line per task view as well as the expanded views. Actually there are so many views available, with the ability to add or remove fields as you wish.

If you spend a little time checking it out you may see that there is already most of what you seem to want there.

Jim
Qrystal

Posted: Jul 09, 2008
Also:
- Try the Toodledo Firefox add-on for quick task adding.
- Simplifying the Navigation menu on the left... I think that's been requested or considered, because I agree, it would be nice. (I don't use Sharing, Calendar, Files, or Booklet.)
- Subtasks can be mimicked by using the notes field, if you aren't quite ready to upgrade to the pro account, or want a little more flexibility in how subtasks are implemented. I make checkboxes like this:
[_] task to do
[x] completed task
[/] half-done task
I do have a pro account and sometimes use actual subtasks as well for some things, but there's a lot of cases where I prefer to keep my progress notes simpler.

The overall layout takes some getting used to, for sure, but once you realize how powerful it is, it's hard to even consider going elsewhere. It can be as simple or as complicated as you make it out to be.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.