ForumsQuestionsHow do I translate Outlook "Categories" to Contexts (or Folders)

How do I translate Outlook "Categories" to Contexts (or Folders)
linda

Posted: Sep 24, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
This all seems very confusing...all I wanted to do is get my Outlook tasks into my iphone...now I'm using ToDo on the iphone, which syncs with ToodleDo on my desktop computer (through a 3rd party app), and I want the whole thing to sync with Outlook. I like what I've seen so-far from Toodledo, however I have years of work invested in my Outlook system and just want to have my task list and calendar synced to my iphone....am I in the wrong place? My specific problem is that I have Categories set-up in Outlook, and I don't see how to translate those categories into either "Contexts" or "Folders"...any suggestions? (Thanks!)
Anders

Posted: Sep 24, 2009
I'm not sure if I understand the question. Appigo's Todo does not require any third party application to sync with Toodledo.com. It does that directly. Currently, the only way to get tasks to sync between Outlook and Todo is by going through Toodledo and using a third party sync tool for Outlook which you can find out about here: http://www.chromadrake.com/ChromaticDragon/software/ToodledoSyncInfo.aspx
I know that Appigo has a desktop app that syncs with iCal on Macs, and that they are planning a similar app for Windows to sync with Outlook, but I am pretty sure that has not materialized yet.
linda

Posted: Sep 25, 2009
You're right (I was just confused!)...I do have the 3rd party software and it does work to sync with Outlook. My real question (after my remark about this being confusing) is: how do I get my Outlook categories (in the Tasks menu) into Toodledo? Would categories be the same as contexts? I have devised my own system of time management, and it depends on being able to categorize my projects/tasks, so it's important that I can transfer that info into Toodledo. Does that make sense?
Anders

If you are using the Chromatic Dragon sync tool, then you need to enable the two following options.
From the page I linked in my previous post:
Create Folders For Categories

Check this box to create Toodledo folders to match your task Categories in Outlook. This option will create a new Toodledo folder for each task Category an Outlook that has incomplete tasks assigned to it.

Please note that the new Toodledo folders will not be updated or deleted if you rename or delete the original Outlook category.

Add Outlook Tasks to Folders

Check this box to allow a new Toodledo to be placed in a Toodledo folder that has the same name as the category of the Outlook task it was created from. If a name match cannot be found then the new Toodledo task will not be assigned to a folder.

The most recent version of that software will alternatively allow you to sync Outlook categories to Toodledo Contexts if you prefer, but I'm not exactly sure how that works and it is not yet documented on their website.

If you are using some other sync tool (i.e. Appigo's, though I don't think they have released that yet), then I don't have any idea.

If you have further questions about the Outlook sync tool, please post them in the Third-Party Applications forum.

This message was edited Sep 25, 2009.
linda

That's exactly what I was looking for...Thanks so much!
john.e.curran.atty

Posted: Nov 08, 2009
Posted by Anders:
If you are using the Chromatic Dragon sync tool, then you need to enable the two following options.
From the page I linked in my previous post:
Create Folders For Categories

Check this box to create Toodledo folders to match your task Categories in Outlook. This option will create a new Toodledo folder for each task Category an Outlook that has incomplete tasks assigned to it.

Please note that the new Toodledo folders will not be updated or deleted if you rename or delete the original Outlook category.

Add Outlook Tasks to Folders

Check this box to allow a new Toodledo to be placed in a Toodledo folder that has the same name as the category of the Outlook task it was created from. If a name match cannot be found then the new Toodledo task will not be assigned to a folder.

The most recent version of that software will alternatively allow you to sync Outlook categories to Toodledo Contexts if you prefer, but I'm not exactly sure how that works and it is not yet documented on their website.

If you are using some other sync tool (i.e. Appigo's, though I don't think they have released that yet), then I don't have any idea.

If you have further questions about the Outlook sync tool, please post them in the Third-Party Applications forum.
john.e.curran.atty

Posted: Nov 08, 2009
I understand that if I create a category in outlook, when I sync it will create a folder in toodledo with the same name. What I want to happen is that when I create a folder in toodledo, and populate it with a task, when I sync that folder will become a category by the same name in outlook populated by the task that I put into it in toodledo. Is this possible?
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.