ForumsQuestionsnew user seeks advice on getting set up in a simple way

new user seeks advice on getting set up in a simple way
lady3jane

Posted: Nov 04, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
help! i am new to Toodledo but really like it. i have the upgraded account, if that would affect your suggestions at all.

i work in an IT dept and handle all things telephone, cell phone, and admininstrative.

we have a lot of offices and i work in the main office. offices can change as they are moved, closed, or opened new in an area.

i've tried to come up with some different ways to organize my thoughts about what i do and tried a few different setups of contexts and folders, but something doesn't seem right. i like the idea of tags, but i don't like that they don't turn into a list i can choose from - i'm afraid i might forget one or use a different name or abbreviation for an office or whatever.

so here is what i have come up as an overview of things i do:

- Telephones:
Systems - i coordinate service between vendors and offices for hardware issues or voicemail issues that i cannot fix remotely. i coordinate installations of new equipment and office moves or additions to the way offices are wired.

Service - i place service calls to carriers when notified of issues on the line by the office, for both local and long distance. i also coordinate/request moves, adds, and changes to services and lines.

- Cell phones: I handle our cell phone account, meaning all new lines, transfers in or out, upgrades, billing etc. It's not too complicated.

- Info updates: It also my job to keep several spreadsheets and a database updated with various info. (some of it is redundant, but i can't help that!)
- staff directory in our email client
- internal staff database
- internal office info database (info like service providers, location, equip info)
- spreadsheets in which in enter a majority of info from our monthly invoices for long distance and cell service in order to track expenses

I also enter all the invoices for the IT dept into our processing system to be paid by accounting (this is for all of the telephone and internet invoices for all offices plus all the maintenance, cell, etc.) I setup voicemail for new users at various offices (no training, i just dial in as admin to set up the actual vm box). there's also webex stuff - setting up meetings for folks or doing/coordinating training.

What I would like in the end that I haven't been able to figure out how to do.

- note the Office for each task so that i could use to search by later (like, what is all the stuff i need to do/have done for the Mayberry office?)

- see all the spreadsheet/database stuff I have to do/want to do (I also develop as well as maintain, so I'm constantly tweaking and refining to get the info we want in a clear way.) sometimes i'm in the mindset to do excel stuff, sometimes not.

Having a folder for each office seems overwhelming - we have about 30 offices open right now. But then again, having folder for each thing I do seemed like overkill as well.

Please feel free to ask questions. I'm open to suggestions! I don't want to do fullblown GTD, but understand the concepts, so if you start saying "next action" I'll know what you mean :)
Proximo

Posted: Nov 06, 2009
If you have a Plus account, you can use Sub-task.

Take advantage of the Parent/Sub-task for your project and just use individual task like normal.

You can use "Context" for all the different offices. This way you can assign a task to a particular office.

You can then view task by Context to filter all the things you need to do at a given location.

I won't go into any further setup ideas because my particular setup is more geared towards GTD and may not fit for what you want. I do think that using "Context" for your different Office locations would be a good way for you to filter to them later.
lady3jane

Posted: Nov 06, 2009
the contexts for offices is a good idea. i thought of that later after i posted this.

i will see how it goes. i just need to get in the habit of using some sort of system and i am trying to not get bogged down in details, but i want to make sure i'm doing stuff in a way that won't have me redoing everything in a month.

but i guess i'll just have to try it and see ;)
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.