ForumsQuestionsToodledo iPhone app - nested subtasks

Toodledo iPhone app - nested subtasks
Kelly Regan

Posted: Nov 15, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Now that I have purchased the 4 most popular todo apps that sync with Toodledo I have a question, or request for the Toodledo iPhone app.

I have a todo list that is over 200 items & duplicated for each house I build.

I have to use a folder for each house, within that folder I have to use a task and several subtasks for each stage of construction.

For example:

House 1

Permits:
..Submit for Demo permit
..Pay the Demo Bond
..Secure sediment control permit
..Secure right of way permit
..Secure electrical permit

Site Preparation
..Meet sediment control inspector
..Install Construction entrance
..Install Silt fence
..Demo existing structure
..Clear and grub lot

You get the idea.
Each task and for the most part subtask has to be done in a specific order.

In the app I have to use the folder veiw to narrow my focus to the house at hand by choosing folder view, then a job folder, then filter with "nested subtasks".

Here is my problem... when I choose the task, lets say "permits" I am taken to the permits edit task window, I then have to scroll to the bottom of the list to find the sub tasks, then open that window to veiw them.

Since I will never or rarely edit the task "permits" it is a round about way of getting to the subtasks.

At this point that one action is the only thing preventing me from using your app full time.

Do you think this will be changed in upcoming versions?

Thank you for the help
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 16, 2009
Thanks for the scenario. We'll see if we can figure out a way to make getting to the subtasks faster.
Proximo

This is so frustrating on the iPhone App that I only use it for capturing.

I know it's a poor use of the iPhone App but the experience between the website and the iPhone App is so different that I simply don't think the iPhone App is that useful to manage my task.

Too much sliding to the right > right > right > pick. now backup, backup, backup.

Rinse and Repeat.

It's worst for Projects. Slide right > right > right > scroll down, pick to see sub-task and now backup, backup, backup.

The Star view does not show sub-task that have stars assigned to them. So I am forced to set a star to the Parent task, just for it to show up.

But now in the Star view I must click on the parent, scroll down, pick on sub-task to view them.

It's just not a good experience at the moment.
Kelly Regan

Another idea that may be easier to implement...

In folder view sub tasks are not shown in order under the parent task.

If you could simply indent or force the sub tasks under each of the parent task, in the same order as on the web site, the nested sub task filter would not need to be modified.

Just thinking out loud here.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestions. The iPhone is slower and smaller than a desktop computer, so there are some limitations, but we will try to make it as fast as we can.
Vin Thomas

Posted: Nov 17, 2009
Score: 2 Reference
Posted by kelly:
If you could simply indent or force the sub tasks under each of the parent task...

This would be best for me. I would like to see the subtasks listed indented just below the parent task. Ideally we would be able to expand and collapse the parent tasks like on the main website.

I feel like there is too much clicking needed in order to get to the tasks I want.
Proximo

I am beta testing a GTD On-line service right now and this is how their iPhone App handles Parent/Sub-task.

Parent
sub-task1
sub-task2

Very nice and very clean.
jlaker

Score: 1 Reference
@proximo
Yes, this is how it is handled in ToDo as well and it's a welcome change from the Toodledo app. All of that clicking is pretty tedious when you simply want a quick look at your subtasks.

Hopefully they will add syncing the manual sort now that we can do that on the website.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.