ForumsQuestionsStart Date Confusion

Start Date Confusion
Proximo

Posted: Nov 16, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
Ok,

I have never used the "Start Date" simply because I hate adding columns to my GUI.

I recently started to use Multi-line view and I like it much better. It hides the task details until I am ready for them.

It's rough in execution but better than nothing at this point.

When I use the Start Date and use the Filter "Hide Future Task", I don't see my task on any of my views.

I created the task with the "Star" activated in hopes that it will show up on the due date with the star activated. The starred items in my implementation of Toodledo is for task I am wanting to finish Today.

So far it looks like it's going to work, but I have an issue with my Custom Search view.

Since Toodledo does not have a "Today" list/section. I created my own using custom search and tried to mimic the GTD functionality found in Things, Omni Focus, Nozbe and others.

I can't seem to figure out what setting I need to have in my custom search to make the task not show up until the due date.

Any ideas.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 16, 2009
Have you tried:

Due-date "is before" "today"
Linden

Posted: Nov 17, 2009
My experience with that fix was that it hard-coded the date and became useless after the day the search was created. (Maybe that is working better now.)

The other downside is that it will also display any task without a due date, because that technically is stored as a very early date (Jan 1, 1900, I think).

What I do with start dates in searches would probably work well with due dates:
================
Due Date "is in the next" 0 days //to match today//
OR
Due Date "is not in the next" 1000 days //to exclude future dates//
================

This excludes blank and future due dates (unless you have items due over 3 years from now -- play with that figure as needed, then).
Proximo

Now I am more confused than ever.

I am wanting to use the Start date so a task shows up with a Star on the day I expect it too.

I want to have my custom search also show this task when the start date is reached and I want it to stay there until I finish it.

So let's say my start date for the task is in 3 days. On the 3rd day, the task shows up with all the preset information I had on it, to include a star.

My custom search is basically finding all task in a particular context (Work) that have a Star. This shows me what I should be doing that day.

I want this task to show up in my search on the 3rd day as well and stay there until I finish it (remove it).

What I have right now is the task showing up before the start date is reached. I am sure it's due to the wrong filter or not having it in the correct structure in my search.

Here is what my custom search looks like.

http://screencast.com/t/NDU0ZGRiMD

This message was edited Nov 17, 2009.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Putting the word "today" into the due-date field should work. It will interpret "today" as whatever day it currently is.

To hide tasks until a start date is reached add this search parameter.

Start Date is before "0 days".
Proximo

Jake,

Thanks for the help. I tried this but it did not work.

http://screencast.com/t/Y2I2MDcxOGQt

Then I tried this and it did not work.

http://screencast.com/t/MTA0ZjNi

I simply want this task to show up on the day it's due using my custom search but it seems to show up before the start date.

This is not an issue when looking at my standard task list but for some reason it's shown on my custom search. It's probably because it does not know how to pull in task with start dates and I need the right filter for it to work.

Any other ideas?

This message was edited Nov 17, 2009.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Instead of typing "0" you need to type "0 days".
Linden

Posted: Nov 18, 2009
Sorry if my post added to the confusion. I just realized today that it does still let in taskes with a blank in the date field. Glad to hear entering "today" now works intuitively!

This message was edited Nov 18, 2009.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.