ForumsQuestionsDue Date Reminders on iphone

Due Date Reminders on iphone
Doug

Posted: Nov 19, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
I really like this feature, but as usual, I want more!! I'm finding myself setting reminders for tasks that I want to work on at a specific time. For example, when I get home from work, I want to ...

The problem here is that I have to set a due-date and due-time in order to set a reminder. Not only does this take more time (have to enter 3 values to get one reminder) it also forces me to break the rules of the GTD program. Since the task may not HAVE to get done today, it really shouldn't be marked as Due. In this case, I unlimately have to go back in the task and remove the due date and due times that I didn't really want to enter in the first place.

My proposed solution (possible product enhancement): Instead of only offering the typical Remind me 15 Min or 30 Min before due; users should also have the abilty to select a specific date/time for the reminder. In other words, when clicking "Remind Me" on the task, I'd like to have an option to select default values such as: 15 Min, 30 Min, 60 Min, -OR- enter a date/time for the reminder.

What do you all think about this? Does this sound like a useful enhancement or am I all alone?!!! :)
David

How about being able to set a reminder for Start date, too? Then we wouldn't have to enter a Due date when there really isn't one. It would also eliminate the need for an additional "Tickler" folder or context.

I was thinking about this yesterday, in fact. I use Start date now mainly to hide future tasks via filters or as ticklers to review something that may or may not have a hard due date, and I thought it would be great to have the option to rename Start Date as "Reminder Date" or "Tickler" or "Review".
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestion.
Proximo

Posted: Nov 20, 2009
I agree with Doug. Not having the ability to set reminders or ticklers breaks the GTD concept.

A task per GTD should only have a Due Date if in fact it's actually DUE that day. The Calendar is sacred in GTD because it's one of first areas you look at when doing your Reviews to see what commitments you have.

Having task with Hard Due dates that are not legitimate will cause you not to trust your system when looking for accurate deadlines in your Calendar.

This message was edited Nov 20, 2009.
Doug

Posted: Nov 24, 2009
Thank you all for your support and thanks to toodledo for adding to the suggestion list!!
coachmac

Posted: Nov 28, 2009
I use both Toodledo and Todo for iphone. I don't know why sometimes I got the reminders from the Toodledo app and sometimes I got them from the Todo app?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 28, 2009
Todo is a third-party application made by Appigo.com. They have their own reminder/notification system that is independent of Toodledo's reminder system. I don't know how they choose to send reminders, you'll have to ask them, but for our iPhone app, reminders are sent for tasks that have the "remind me" field set.
coachmac

Posted: Dec 02, 2009
Thanks that was a silly question. I just get the reminder twice. I don't really need both app except for the search function.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.