ForumsQuestionsToodledo -iPhone App - split Home from Work ?

Toodledo -iPhone App - split Home from Work ?
spenceah

Posted: Nov 23, 2009
Score: 0 Reference
The Toodledo iPhone app. looks very comprehensive but there is one feature holding me back from considering it's use. Unless I can go into any of the various views and be able to split out Home tasks from Work tasks I will be unable to implement this. I generally want to see Home tasks when I'm not at Work and vice versa.

I am currently using the Todo app which allows you to filter lists based on a Tag's or Contexts. I have created 3 lists in the Todo iPhone app called Home, Work and Common (e.g. common to home and work life)and apply filters in each of these to see the desired content.

Any thoughts on how I could make this work anyone.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Nov 23, 2009
We are planning to make a context filter that would allow for this. It will be in a future update.
Proximo

Posted: Nov 24, 2009
Having multiple context per task is going to be a HUGE update. This will allow us to truly filter task properly.

This is needed on the iPhone and Website.

@spenceah,

I currently use a Context called "Work" and one called "Personal". I use this to separate my Work related task from my personal task. For right now, I am using tags for my resource context if I require further filtering.

On the website this works OK and I can successfully separate task. On the iPhone is also works OK but the best solution would be multiple context filtering.
spenceah

Posted: Nov 25, 2009
Many thanks, appreciate the updates!!

Is this the correct use of the Context attribute? I understand Context to be "where am I" to determine what can I physically achieve. I may want to do Home related tasks at work or Work related tasks at Home. By introducing the Context filter are you not using Context to determine the type of task rather than where am I?

Thanks again.
Proximo

Posted: Nov 25, 2009
Posted by spenceah:
Many thanks, appreciate the updates!!

Is this the correct use of the Context attribute? I understand Context to be "where am I" to determine what can I physically achieve. I may want to do Home related tasks at work or Work related tasks at Home. By introducing the Context filter are you not using Context to determine the type of task rather than where am I?

Thanks again.

I should mention that I practice GTD. In GTD a context can be a location or resource. I consider location to also be an area of focus.

Location/Area of Focus examples:

@Work
@Personal
@Business

Resource examples:

@Call
@Errand
@Internet
@Email
@Home
@Office

If I could use multiple context, I would not be using tags. For now I have no choice. Many times I want to see all my Personal related task that require me to be on the Internet. Using my Context as my Location/Area of Focus, I can filter my list and then use Tags for the Resource if required.

My Toodledo setup is a complete hack to make it look like a real GTD system. So please consider that when you listen to anything I have to say. :-)

It's obviously not for everyone.
spenceah

Posted: Nov 27, 2009
Many thanks, I can see how you have manipulated the system to achieve an end.

I've generally found myself that there isn't a perfect fit on any of the apps.. I am using ToDo and have customised the setup myself to approximate to GTD and suit the way I work. I like the Goals in the ToodleDo app. which enable you to take the Focus areas to the next level, I've used Tags to achieve 20k, 30k etc in ToDo. I'll keep an eye out for the Context filter in the Toodledo app.

One more query.

Using my Context as my Location/Area of Focus, I can filter my list and then use Tags for the Resource if required.

How do you filter by the Tag in the example above?
Proximo

Posted: Nov 30, 2009
Posted by spenceah:

One more query.

Using my Context as my Location/Area of Focus, I can filter my list and then use Tags for the Resource if required.

How do you filter by the Tag in the example above?

I can only do this in the Tag view. In the tag view I can select Call for example and see all my task with the tag "Call". Then I can use the drop down filter for Context and set it to "Personal". Now I have all my personal task that have a tag of "Call".

Not straight forward since you can't do this from the Context view.

You can do this on Appigo Todo for the iPhone but not the Toodledo iPhone app or site.

This message was edited Nov 30, 2009.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.