ForumsQuestionsDifference Between Folders and Contexts

Difference Between Folders and Contexts
dclawyer

Posted: Nov 23, 2009
Score: 3 Reference
I am new here and like Toodledo very much so far. I am having trouble understanding the difference between folders and contexts. I see that when I create a new context a folder of the same name is also created but not the other way around.

Right now I see a use for contexts but not folders. I now have Home, Work and Shopping.

I'd love to hear what other contexts people use and how they use them in conjunction with folders.

BTW, the iPhone app is great.
David

Score: 2 Reference
Hi DC,

Welcome to TD and this forum.

You can create folders and contexts and they are independent. One does not depend on (or create) the other.

Contexts are generally used the way you've set them up, to reflect the different places you might be (or different tools you might use). For example, you might want to have a context of "Calls" so that when you are in that frame of mind, you can have your call list in front of you. Common contexts are Work, Home, Errands, and Agendas for meetings with certain individuals.

Folders are simply another way to organize your life or areas of focus. Many of us are using folders to organize our life using the Getting Things Done system articulated by David Allen in his book of that name. I have folders for Actions (Single-actions I have identified to do), Projects (Multi-step actions), Waiting (items I have delegated or am waiting for a response), Someday/Maybe, Tickler (items I want to be reminded of but which aren't necessarily "due" on a given date), and Lists (checklists, info I often need to access).

Read some of the other forum topics for ideas, especially the ones on Getting Things Done and Time Management.

Once again, welcome, (from a recovering attorney)!

David
dclawyer

Score: 0 Reference
Thank you David. I get it now. I changed Shopping to Errands and added a folder for Waiting. I will add more as I get more familiar with this. I appreciate the warm welcome!
PeterW 

I use only two contexts - business and personal - to divide my To-dos. So the context for me is a simple filter that I can use to display what I want to see at any time.

I have many folders, e.g. admin, finance, IT, OH&S etc, all relating to specific areas of my work.
Proximo

Posted: Nov 24, 2009
Rather than explain what I do. Here is a link to a video I created. You may find some of it useful or at least it can spark your own ideas on what you could do.

https://www.toodledo.com/forums/5/2660/-14076/read.html
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.