ForumsQuestionsSubscribing to iCal

Subscribing to iCal
steviecorp

Posted: Jul 26, 2008
Score: 0 Reference
Hey everyone. I just purchased the ToDo iPhone App and it's great in conjunction with Toodledo. I attempted to do the iCal sync in Connections, but it says it's not valid. Thanks.

Michael Manna
Host, T4 Show
www.t4show.com
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 26, 2008
This help topic should explain how to setup iCal synchronization.

http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=68

Hope that helps.
dmccowan

Posted: Jul 28, 2008
I can subscribe from Toodledo to iCal, but I can't publish from iCal to Toodledo.

I've turned on "Live updates" on Toodledo, but when I go and insert the URL into one of my iCal calendars, I get an error that says the "webcal://" prefix doesn't work in iCal. So I change it to "http://" and iCal takes it and publishes the calendar. But that calender is not showing up in Toodledo.

Any suggestions?

This message was edited Jul 28, 2008.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
The iCal format is one-way, so unfortunately, it is technically impossible for Toodledo to receive changes that you make in iCal.
DKJJ

Score: 1 Reference
Where exactly in iCal/MobileMe calendar application are you meant to "paste the Apple iCal URL",as stated on the Toodledo help page?

No problem doing so with Google Calendar but so far I have had no luck enabling a live iCal link. According to the iCal/MobileMe guys,linking third party tasks apps, such as the mighty Toodledo (my adjective, not theirs), is not possible.

Any successful Toodledo/iCal linking stories out there?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
To import your Toodledo tasks into iCal, first enable the live ical link on the Toodledo connections page. Then go into iCal and select "Subscribe" from the "Calendar" menu. Paste in the URL and you are ready to go.

Hope that helps.
gbuell

Posted: Jul 30, 2008
I am attempting to add the Live iCal link to Google Calendar, by selecting Add -> Add by URL and pasting the Google Calendar webcal link, but Google Calendar gives me an error message within seconds that says "The address that you provided did not contain a calendar in a valid iCal or GData format." I have selected "Enable Live iCal Link" and clicked "Save Changes" on the Connections page. Any help?
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Jul 30, 2008
This help topic may provide some assistance:

http://www.toodledo.com/info/help.php?sel=23
pbunn

Posted: Aug 01, 2008
I have just started using Toodledo with Apple iCal. I have successfully pasted the subscribe link into iCal and seen Toodledo tasks show up in iCal **if they had due dates**. If I blank out the due date in Toodledo so that it says "no date" and then refresh the calendar in iCal, the task disappears completely. Even if I do a search on some text in the task name, it appears nowhere within iCal. So my question is: are tasks with no date supposed to work with iCal? If so, then is something broken, or am I doing something wrong?

This message was edited Aug 01, 2008.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Score: 1 Reference
If you go into iCal and do a "get info" on the subscription, you will see a checkbox that says something like "Remove to-do items". Make sure this is unchecked.
pbunn

Score: -1 Reference
RE: Unchecking Remove To Do Items -- YES! It worked! Thank you very much. I look forward to using your web site and To-Do service with my new iPhone
Kevin Redding

Posted: Sep 03, 2008
I managed to get the subscribe function to work now -- thanks for the help! But now when iCal imports the To Do's, they do NOT show up as To Do's -- they become calendar events! Each one appears as an all-day event on its due date. What's the point of that?? What's more, they lose all the other info -- like the priority, which folder they are from, etc. (I was hoping to be able to keep using iCal after moving to ToddleDo, but now it looks like this migration is a one-way thing...)
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Sep 04, 2008
Yes, the iCal format is very limited and should only be used as a supplement to Toodledo. A lot also depends on the calendar that you are importing it into. For example, Google Calendar doesn't support tasks, only events.
Kevin Redding

Posted: Sep 04, 2008
Posted by Toodledo:
Yes, the iCal format is very limited and should only be used as a supplement to Toodledo. A lot also depends on the calendar that you are importing it into. For example, Google Calendar doesn't support tasks, only events.

Its not the limitation of the iCal format that is the problem, as far as I can see – unless by that you mean the ability of iCal to import ToDo items. As far as I can see, it is the problem with ToodeDo's ability to export the ToDo items. I don't see how this can be an insoluble problem -- after all, I imported all my ToDos into ToodeDo's from iCal in the first place.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Sep 05, 2008
Have you tried using the "To-dos only" iCal link?
gary203

Posted: Sep 06, 2008
For Google, just keep retrying - it will ultimately allow you to add the Toodledo URL - it may be a few hours after you "Enable Live iCal Link" on Toodledo
dean

Posted: Jul 15, 2009
For the benefit of all who got the same problem as described above, I was in the same situation, until I realized I forgot to click "Save changes" after checking the "Enable Live iCal Link" box. If you have saved the change, you should be able to subscribe to iCal without problem.
dana

Posted: Aug 18, 2009
thanks dean! THAT was the solution for me.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.