ForumsQuestionsPlease vote on this feature (Multiple Contexts per Task)

Please vote on this feature (Multiple Contexts per Task)
Captain_Obvious

Posted: Aug 30, 2010
Score: -1 Reference
Such limitation make me wonder switching to Excel.

This message was edited Aug 30, 2010.
Andrew A

Posted: Aug 31, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
I see no need for it (-1), and don't think it is particularly GTD since it adds complexity without a corresponding uptick in task simplicity... but that said, it doesn't mean I have to use it if it is ever introduced! LOL! There are times when adding more does not affect those of us who think less is more.
tom.rb.edwards

Posted: Sep 10, 2010
+1

This would be a very important feature for me.
For example, there are certain tasks I can only do @Home, and certain tasks that I can only do @Work, but there are also tasks that can be done both @Home and @Work. So the situation I would like to envisage here is that while I'm at work, I would like to see tasks that are marked @Work, including those that are marked both @Work and @Home. Then when I go home, I would like to see tasks that are marked either @Home or both @Work and @Home.

With the single context limitation, that means that for each task I add, I have to decide whether I can do it ONLY at home or ONLY at work, which is a big limitation to be honest. One alternative is to set tasks with no context, but then that would include other irrelevant tasks such as ones marked with @Town (meaning tasks I can only accomplish while I'm out in town).

Another alternative is to use tags instead, but toodledo only allows you to view one tag at a time.

I think a good alternative is to have a checkbox for tags and/or contexts, like in Nozbe, where you select which tags/contexts you want to view the tasks for
m9ri99s

Posted: Sep 10, 2010
+1
derooij.d

Posted: Sep 17, 2010
+1
ymoreau

Posted: Sep 18, 2010
+1
Joyce

Posted: Sep 19, 2010
+1 sound like a useful feature
Michael

Posted: Sep 20, 2010
+1
billzegarski

Posted: Sep 30, 2010
+1
PeterW 

Posted: Sep 30, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
Posted by Andrew A:
I see no need for it (-1), and don't think it is particularly GTD since it adds complexity without a corresponding uptick in task simplicity...

Another GTD cloud-based system I tried provided sub-contexts which was kind of cool. The way they implemented this was such that it didn't complicate the system for those who didn't want to use them (e.g. me). If this could be achieved here then I'd have no problem with it being added.

However if the implementation was similar to the Tag field/cloud then I'd be dead against the change.

But you know this discussion is somewhat pointless - it's not like Toodledo would be giving much weight to requests such as this.
piyush_soni

Posted: Oct 01, 2010

Tags can do that already.
Colin

Posted: Dec 27, 2010
I was just about to leave a message suggesting this. Multiple contexts gets my vote big time!!!
Terri1769

Posted: Dec 31, 2010
Score: 1 Reference
+1
Of course I'd like to see other fields as multi-value as well, like Location. If I have to pick something up at the grocery store, there are multiple stores in multiple locations I may be near in a day. Being able to utilize location awareness in a smart phone for more than just one location would be helpful.
bitybity

Posted: Jan 19, 2011
DEFINITELY AGREE. Toodledo has to have the possibility to choose more than one context. That is how I have it set up in my outlook, and it's a complete disaster in Toodledo.
It's a must.
zsterling

Posted: Feb 08, 2011
+1
Please, oh please, add multiple locations, and multiple contexts too, to your to do list. It would help me tremendously.

Also, has there been thought about raising the limit on the number of locations allowed? Last I checked there were only a 100, which seems like a lot until you start tracking restaurants, parks and other sites, that you want to visit someday.
anisiforov_ilja

Posted: Jun 02, 2011
Please!
+1
Shawn Tuttle

No opinion on Context.

Another vote for better implementation of Tags. TX!
joseimora

+1

I agree that we should have more than one context as an option.

I also agree that tags are such a mess that I've practically stopped using them. Each and every spelling error results in a bunch of tags for the same thing. This feature needs to be re-designed so there is a more secure way to add tags.

Also, why don't we have the ability to create our own field(s)? This way, we could have the flexibility to sort by as many ways as we wish.
MacPhyle

Posted: Jun 04, 2011
+1
Jeff Putney

Posted: Jun 18, 2011
Score: -1 Reference
Just a clarification on what the GTD book actually says. At no point does it *ever* talk about putting an action on multiple context lists. If you do a search on the word 'anywhere' you will see the quote that Proximo quoted, that says there are actions that can be done anywhere, and does not say to put those actions on every single context. The David specifically talks about deciding *which* context to put an action on, and not putting it on both. So the concept of checking *all* context lists that apply to your current location is very much in the GTD DNA.

What is *actually* mentioned is the 'Anywhere' context, as well as the 'Errands - Anywhere' vs 'Errands - Ojia' contexts.
You will note that 'Get Dress Socks' very clearly goes on 'Errands - Everywhere', and not on both 'Errands' contexts.

P.146 I keep two "Errands" lists—"Errands—Ojai" (where I live) and "Errands—Anywhere," for all those other things I can pick up even when I'm on the road. "T-connectors for irrigation" would go on
"Errands—Ojai," but "Get dress socks" would go on "Errands—Anywhere."

P.214: You need to decide where and how you want to do that action, in order to know which action list to put it on. Do you do this kind of thinking best on a computer, or by hand-writing your thoughts on paper? I may choose either medium, depending on what my intuition tells me. For me this next action would go either on my "At Computer" list or on "Anywhere" (because I can draw mind-maps wherever I am, as long as I have pen and paper).

P.214: If you're carrying the project notes around with you in a folder, or in a portable organizer or on a laptop, then the "Organize . . . " action would go on an "Anywhere" or "Misc." action list if you're going to do it by hand, or on "At Computer" if you're going to use a word processor, outliner, or project-planning software.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

Skip to Page:  1   2   3   4      Next

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.