ForumsQuestionsSubtasks in different context/folder from their parent task

Subtasks in different context/folder from their parent task
Yannis

Posted: Jan 18, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
I have been using Proximo's GTD setup for Toodledo and so far it's been working great with the exception of one apparent Toodledo bug:

I use subtasks intensively and have selected "indented" (nested) views throughout the system. Unfortunately, when viewing my tasks "by context", several subtasks with that chosen context are hidden if their parent task belongs in a different context.

To be fair to Toodledo, I do get a warning at the end of the list that several "active tasks are hidden due to my filter settings." Upon selecting the "flattened" view the hidden subtasks indeed appear. The bug is that, reverting again to the "indented" view does not hide any subtasks anymore.

In other words, if I want to view all my subtasks in the a context, including those whose parent task belongs in a different context, I have to switch back and forth between the "indented" and "flattened" views.

I wonder then: Why not allow Toodledo to show all subtasks right from the start, rather than hide by default those subtasks whose parent task is in a different context?

(I hope my description is clear).

Thank you very much.

PS: The same problem occurs with folders as well as contexts: Subtasks belong in a folder other than that of their parent task require the same sort of "back and forth" toggling between indented and flattened views in order to appear in the "View by Folder" lists.

This message was edited Jan 18, 2010.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the bug report. This is on our to-do list.
Yannis

That's wonderful, Toodledo!

May I ask what exactly the correct behavior will be? For many of us, especially those who use Toodledo with Proximo's GTD setup, the "buggy" behavior is actually desired behavior! In other words, we absolutely need the ability to view subtasks of the selected context in *indented* format even when the parent task belongs in a different context. [Same with folders]. The parent task in those cases could appear in light grey, to indicate that it is in a different context than the one selected but still shown because it contains a subtask in that context.

A quick glance at the last couple of pages of the forum discussion on GTD, Proximo's setup and Toodledo will indicate that this feature is really the only missing link for Toodledo to be convertible to a true GTD system.

All in all: Please, please provide what currently is "buggy" behavior as an option alongside the "correct" one.

How does this sound to you?

Thank you.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Thanks for the suggestion.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.