ForumsQuestionsiCal sync

iCal sync
Guillermo

Posted: Feb 25, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Hi,
I have a dream: I would like iCal to Toodledo sync via caldav. I've been waiting for more than a year for news about this, but nothing so far. I know Toodledo does not comment about roadmaps, but is there any chance that this will be implemented in the near feature? This is the missing link in my opinion. Outlook to Toodledo has Toodledo Outlook Sync application, iPhone to Toodledo has plenty of options, but iCal to Toodledo has nothing besides subscribing (one way only)
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Feb 25, 2010
Sorry, we can't comment on a release date.
ernie

Posted: Mar 01, 2010
Newbe to iPhone and Toodledo. The fact that you can't easily sync to iCal is a major problem. Ditto for iPhone not including To Do on the iCal phone. When I searched for an app to make this sync happen between my MAC and the iPhone, your APP was advertised as the one to go for.... doesn't work, money and time wasted. Any suggestions out there for an APP that actually works?
David

@ernie

Todo syncs with iCal and Toodledo.com
Chitu

Hi everyone,

This is my first post in the forums. I posted the feature request below to Toodledo, and I just found this thread, which I believe is very much related. I hope I could get more ideas and refinements from the community. Does this sound like a useful idea? Is it already possible, and I'm just not aware of it?

Thanks,
Chitu

--------------------

Hi Toodledo,

I appreciate your attempt to give us a calendar that shows us the task due dates; I also appreciate your efforts in trying to sync the task list into Google Calendar (and I understand that the fact that the Google Tasks API is still closed limits your efforts). However, I feel that all these elements are fundamentally flawed, and are hence useless to me.

They are all based on the assumption that the calendar is the primary tool, and that the task list would be useful integrated into the calendar. Well, maybe its because I'm a GTD user, but in my day-to-day workflow, the task list (that is Toodledo) is my single most important PIM application; I would like everything else to flow into it. E-mail to Toodledo is right on the mark; Notebook working with folders is great. My gaping disconnect at present is the calendar to task list connection; I think trying to put tasks on the calendar is the wrong direction.

Could you please create a way to display iCal entries on the task list page? I would love to see my calendar events for today above my task list; that way, I know everything I have to do for the day. I don't need any edit capabilities for events in Toodledo; a one-way display would be perfectly fine. I edit my tasks at least 20 times more often than I edit calendar entries. However, it's hard to prioritize my day's tasks without having my days events in front of me; hence I need to switch back and forth between Toodledo and Google Calendar.

In summary, your iCal export options are pretty much useless to me; even if they were viewable on a Calendar (I can view your tasks in Thunderbird, but not in Google Calendar), I wouldn't want to work with them on anything other than Toodledo software (whether Toodledo.com or the iPhone app). And of course, displaying tasks on the calendar date they are due is absolutely useless, since that doesn't help me do the tasks.

By putting Toodledo in the forefront and importing events into Toodledo (read only is perfectly OK with me), I would spend a lot more time on Toodledo and less time switching between Toodledo and calendar apps.

I know this is a big request, but it should only accentuate how great I think your software is.

Chitu
PeterW 

@Chitu,

I am sure there are probably quite a lot of users who would like to combine task management with calendar items in one view. I am also a GTD person but I use a Windows PC both at work and at home. So iCal is of no interest to me at all.

My work uses Microsoft Exchange which syncs nicely with the iPhone and at home I use Outlook with MobileMe to keep my personal stuff synced. While I like the idea of pulling calendar data into Toodledo's calendar, this would need to be more than just iCal to be useful to many users.

Regards,
Peter.
Jake

Toodledo Founder
Posted: Mar 02, 2010
Most calendar apps (iCal, Google Calendar, etc) make it difficult to get data out of them. Its easy to go in, but not out. We are investigating ways to do this, but it is time consuming.
Chitu

Posted: Mar 02, 2010
@PeterW, sorry, I meant the iCalendar format, not the iCal application--my mistake. iCalendar is supported by most calendar applications, including Microsoft Exchange and Google Calendar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_applications_with_iCalendar_support). Yes, of course, it must be a widely supported standard, in order to make it valuable to most users.

@Toodledo, thanks for looking into this. I don't know the complexities involved, but I do want to let you know that this feature would be very much appreciated.
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.