ForumsQuestionsA task with no name

A task with no name
Joe

Posted: Mar 10, 2010
Score: 0 Reference
Greetings from a newbie!

How can I see a list of things that need to be done today ONLY but have no due date?

I've been through toodledo on a task with no name, it felt good to be out of the rain. In the to do list, you can remember your name but there's ain't no one to give you no pain... La laaaaa, laaaaaaaaa la la la la :)

Thanks in advance!
PeterW 

Posted: Mar 10, 2010
Hey Joe,

Having no due date makes it tough to work out what you need to do today!

But here are a few ideas:

* Star the items you need to do today and use the Starred tab (View-by - Main) to view them.

* Use the Start Date field on your tasks, set View-by to Due Date and then use the "Started" tab.

Hope this helps.
saskia.x

Posted: Mar 13, 2010
It depends what you mean by "a list of things that need to be done today", Joe. Apart from anything else, I would say that something that needs to be done today would have a due date for today, otherwise it's just something that you want to do today. It is isn't clear from your question whether you are talking about manually creating a daily task list, or whether you mean that you want Toodledo to suggest what to do that day.

If you just want to be able to go through your tasks yourself, manually pick out what you want to do that day, and just get on and do those tasks without being distracted by the rest of the list, you can use the star or something, as PeterW suggests. Personally if I want to focus on blasting through a list of things I've chosen to do that day, I prefer to get them out of Toodledo altogether as I know I'll probably start fiddling with my task list otherwise! But then I'm a distractable person...

If you want Toodledo to filter/sort the tasks so that it generates a list of tasks to do each day, you'll need to think a bit about how you'd prefer to organise your tasks. I struggled over this for a long time but I have ended up with a system that works pretty well for me.

I originally tried to avoid using due dates for tasks that didn't have a genuine due date (a la David Allen's Getting Things Done) but I find that I end up with a really overwhelming task list that way. My life is just far too complicated. So now I use the priority field to indicate how much it matters that I do the task by its "due date". 3 means I have to do the task by that date, and 1 means it'd be kind of nice to do it by that date but it's not a big deal if I don't. I also use the star for tasks that are slightly more important, so 3* represents a deadline that I can't miss, and 2* is a task that I really want to do by a particular date but don't really need to. If I sort my tasks by importance this produces a nicely ordered list with the things I need to do that day at the top. I can also use tools like the scheduler or a saved search to give me a shorter or more customised list so that I can focus in on the tasks that are the best use of my time right now. You can use the scheduler pretty effectively to get a list of tasks for the day provided your task list is well organised.

I realise I've probably made my system sound much more complicated than it actually is!

Toodledo has a lot of flexibility, so with some experimenting you should be able to come up with a way of using it that suits the way you work. There are a lot of different setups discussed on these forums, so if you want some ideas you can probably find a few here!
You cannot reply yet

U Back to topic home

R Post a reply

To participate in these forums, you must be signed in.